cedar Decking

Al B

I'm removing the old pressure treated decking from my 12' X 14' rear deck, and plan to replace it with cedar, What is the best preservative to use to maintain the natural look of the cedar. I do realize that it will have to be cared for at least every other year. Cedar is more than double the cost of the PT but what the heck, one last time, just for me.

I am not sure how well it works on a horizontal surface but I've used "One TIme Wood FInish" on a playset and it lasted the advertised 7 years without any problems.  http://onetimewood.com/  I got it at my local Do-It-Best Hardware store, where they stocked it.

It's expensive (it was almost $100 a gallon when I got it 10 years ago), but it's 100% solids, UV cured. So you're not paying for something that's 75% solvents that evaporates away.  And I figured if you don't have to do it annually or every 2-3 years, it's save in labor costs/time. My son-in-law is using it to seal his cedar fencing (about 2/3 done at the rate he's able to do it.)

Thanks guys. Keith, I think the "one time wood finish" might be a bit pricey for me. The Sikkens finish seems to get good reviews and much more reasonably priced at $39.95 a gallon. Two gallons should cover my 168 sq ft with 2 coats. Can the Sikkens be sprayed, or does it have to be brushed on?

10 hours ago, It Was Al B said:

Thanks guys. Keith, I think the "one time wood finish" might be a bit pricey for me. The Sikkens finish seems to get good reviews and much more reasonably priced at $39.95 a gallon. Two gallons should cover my 168 sq ft with 2 coats. Can the Sikkens be sprayed, or does it have to be brushed on?

We used a roller the first time. We laid the boards out and coated all sides before installing them. Second coat, after installation a week or so later, was with a brush. Just finished a renewal coat. It's been 3 years.

Be sure to get the Cetol SRD. Sikkens makes several different formulas for different applications. 

Edited by Gene Howe

Apparently the Sikkens SRD is not available in MA. I'm told that the Sikkens SRD RE is available,but reviews show that users are not happy with that formla. I also checked on the "One Time Wood Finish". Besides cost, the big negative is the looooong  drying time.Up to 3 days . Maybe I'll have to resort to Thomsons water seal for now .Probably spray the underside, install. and the brush the top after it is installed.

It seems that no one stocks 14' cedar, and using 12' boards would require a lot of butt joining with somewhat short pieces. So my option is to buy 18' boards and be left with 24 pieces of 4' lengths. It's like buying 4-18' boards for nothing.I'm sure I'll find a use for them. The good news is, my local lumber yard prices are lower than Lowes, and they provide free delivery.They also told me I could select my boards. Now, If this rain ever stops, I'll be able to finish removing the old planks.

Edited by It Was Al B

HMMmmmmm, That's good to know. I do want to coat the underside so I'll have to come up with something pretty soon. Thanks Stick!

Would this be a reasonable option,sold at HD stores? Wolman F&P  Cedar Exterior wood stain and preservative. The HD internet # for the item is 204642357 . It seems to have excellent reviews with one user claiming it is as good as Sikkens and a lot cheaper. IT is at least an oil base finish that I'm able to purchase here.:wacko:

Edited by It Was Al B

Take a look at TWP. It's oil based and one of the highly recommended wood preservative I've seen on the internet. I used it on cedar siding but not on a cedar deck. I just used it on a pressure treated porch. So far so good. I can get it locally but not at a big box store. It is available on the net as well if local suppliers aren't around. It comes in 1 and 5 gal containers. Google TWP to get more information about the product and reviews by users.

8 minutes ago, It Was Al B said:

One more question.. Is it OK if I put a finish on the underside and lay the boards on the deck while the finish is still wet ? I can then install the decking and apply the finish to the upper side.

go for it..seal the top seam of anything sistered...

I like to put Vycor on top of sistered joints.. stops water intrusion and controls the start of rot....

https://gcpat.com/construction/en-us/residential-building-materials/Vycor-Plus