thank you, you welcome

All the veterans I talk with just smile and say thanks back to me. We often have a brief conversation about what we did, where, and when. Several of us say hi when we see each other again. Some tell me thanks for telling them its OK to talk about bad times. Wives are especially thankful. One woman whose hubby served in hot combat in the 4th Infantry Division in VN told me after I talked with him that he was more elated than she had ever seen him. He introduced me to his grandson as "my buddy." All of us just need to talk. We are all brothers and sisters across several wars. 

hat

Ron said: When we collected at the red kettle with would sometimes be called names.

I was discharged form the army infantry in January, 1970 and flew home via Seattle and San Francisco wearing my greens. I never saw any of the angry protests others saw. Nobody spit on me or called me a baby killer.

hat

My close friend in high school made the Army his career. He served three tours in Viet Nam, was wounded, When he came back on a stretcher in San Fran, he was spit on and screamed at.  He was in mental wards several times.  We had a long discussion at a class reunion and I felt so bad for that guy. He died of agent orange damage several years ago