Saturday's Woodworking Quiz May 13, 2017

13 hours ago, Chips N Dust said:

Hemlock has needles. About 1/2 the length of douglas fir needles. Hemlock is from the Tsuga family. Douglas fir is Psuedotsuga (false hemlock)

Hmmmm......maybe the ones I have aren't Hemlock (that's what the "srborist" told me last fall when we had some trees removed. These look like leaves (very thin leaves) and they all fell off last fall.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

2 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Hmmmm......maybe the ones I have aren't Hemlock (that's what the "srborist" told me last fall when we had some trees removed. These look like leaves (very thin leaves) and they all fell off last fall.

Fred, if you get a chance, take a picture of a branch with the needles/leaves and either post it or pm me with it. Also, a picture of the trunk would be helpful. Maybe I can id it for you

@Fred W. Hargis Jr

As Herb said, that is not Western Hemlock, nor is it Mountain Hemlock. I will do some research and see what it is.

Also, could you send me a close up of a single branch so I can see the leaves better? Also, does this tree have fruit/cones/seed pods? If so, a picture of those would help.

Thank you

Edited by Chips N Dust

25 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

This discussion is quite interesting. Fred's tree is sure a strange one. Are there any others in the area? Maybe someone bought a sapling from a nursery. Might not be a native. 

It's just one of a ton of things growing here that I can't identify. We have 5, and I've not seen them anywhere else. The cypress might be a good guess, I just didn't think they would survive this far north....shows what I know!

18 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

It's just one of a ton of things growing here that I can't identify. We have 5, and I've not seen them anywhere else. The cypress might be a good guess, I just didn't think they would survive this far north....shows what I know!

That bark sure doesn't look cypressy to me. Although, they are deciduous conifers. It's a mystery. Did you mention whether or not they produce cones? 

37 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

That bark sure doesn't look cypressy to me. Although, they are deciduous conifers. It's a mystery. Did you mention whether or not they produce cones? 

Forgot that: they do not produce anything that I've noticed to carry the seeds. No nuts, cones, or fruit. I've only been here a year, and I suppose it's possible last year was just an off year for the trees...weather or something kept them from producing whatever it is they produce.