It Was Al B

Old tools at boat building shop

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

In my recent visit to the working boat building museum built in 1793 I took photos of a few old tools.

#1 A drill press that was originally pedal operated. Now motorized.

#2  A hand operated drill press mounted to a structural column in the building.

#3 Bandsaw

#4 another drill press

#5 Pot belly stove, still in use

#6 One of several work benchesIMG_2246.JPG.8453f14feaf57dcb53981ef33a4d2ece.JPGIMG_2247.JPG.755ae05effd73a0ed8b41132be9f7429.JPGIMG_2248.JPG.0c7eac91e5cd395047d02b92c83c770b.JPGIMG_2249.JPG.57abf892b302abce9ec5596b42d01573.JPGIMG_2256.JPG.f4d3e965c6de4f652d1b1827a3dd5103.JPGIMG_2265.JPG.96a32b4e806a3a1cd397b81efa0d4a1c.JPGIMG_2266.JPG.9f08ad4b2582c2c9c2e3b32a6b9ca2d1.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2252.JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2254.JPG

IMG_2255.JPG

IMG_2257.JPG

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2260.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

Dadio, clhyer, Grandpadave52 and 1 other like this

Loved the pictures, Al. Brings back so many memories of when I was young, all the boats were wooden. We have a wooden boat school here, and another at one of the Jr. colleges  and another farther North, I am so glad that art is not lost. There are waiting lists to get in.

Herb

Grandpadave52 likes this

Notice the use of all the wooden clamps in the building of the Dory. These are modern versions of one hanging on the wall in photo #4 which has the wooden threaded screws

Great tour, Al. Thanks. The stove with the coffee warmer on top is neat. Wonder what it's real use is. 

I've seen a few of those hand operated post drills at online auctions. They go for good money.

Sorry Al, in all the hustle & bustle of life I missed this one somehow...THANK-YOU for providing the pictures and the story. Just think, this place started less than 20 years after the Revolutionary War and the forming of our nation. How cool is that?!

This is just amazing to see. The tools are really awesome and especially seeing they're still in use, but the real story to me was looking at the beams & posts and especially the floor. Oh what stories those wall could tell! Just think, None of the powered tools shown existed when this first started...then the evolution of either water powered or perhaps even steam through a power shaft and then eventually to electric power. Yet even today with the powered tools, the art and final assembly comes down to a tool in a true craftsman's hands.

Much appreciated and greatly enjoyed. Glad you went & even more so you took the time to share with us!

Thanks all. This is only a part of the museum. I didn't get to visit the lower level, where I'm sure there is much more to see. Next time I'll try to post more of the structural parts of the building and  its surrounding area. There must be photos available of the days when the tools were belt driven. I'll have to inquire about that.

Grandpadave52 likes this