R.I.P. Delta 46-460

HandyDan

Yesterday I was enjoying a nice day in the shop when a flash of light and the Delta 46-460 started running faster than I had ever seen it before.  Turns out a nice sunny day turned into an eight minute wind and rain storm that knocked over a dozen trees in the neighborhood.  They brought down the power lines and I figure the electrical surge got the better of the speed controller.  I never run the lathe if there is any lightening in the area for that reason and now I'm still screwed.  There wasn't a cloud in the sky and as you see in the pictures the sun was back right after the storm.

This one fell across the street in front of my house.

001.JPG.a8117eb733d02dbbfbcae20c6c13d013.JPG002.JPG.9b2201b10468cebd7881dd239907d317.JPG

This one is two doors down on the other side of the street.

003.JPG.7e388f9c34fad61a712e1f218f40bcb8.JPG

004.JPG.4ec41e53d617724c1a5f79f488678bfd.JPG

Two doors down the street, six trees fell over wires going to a house and pulled this pole over.  On my side of the street the houses sit back 150 feet so another pole is added on the way to the house and that pole was broken too.  The wires going to the two houses behind this pole were ripped off the houses including the meter boxes.

005.JPG.0c5a0ac7bf271b601d1879513d45c106.JPG

007.JPG.bdb543271949582d72b14bc97ea03e65.JPG

006.JPG.b810a00e13dad9d201a122114bbeb273.JPG

This happened at 4:00 in the afternoon.  The repair trucks came about 6:00 PM and had the power on about 4:00 AM

008.JPG.44b75ff69fb798ab81354c016fd20b69.JPG

Now the cleanup.  Going to have to see what can be done with the lathe. 

32 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

YIKES!!!!

what have you been doing to irritate Mother Nature...

Don't know but this is the third time in about five years.  Five years ago a tree fell on the garage but I somehow lost the pictures for that.  Remember last years Lightening strike and now this.  She hates me.

003.JPG.861dc27d3addc516888aea3379ca48a9.JPG

Those big old pine trees don't have much of a root system. Glad no one was hurt.

I imagine the variable speed control was hit with too much voltage. Might be repairable. Looks like a new one is north of $300! Could be something as simple as a fuse but there's now way of being certain without looking.

1 hour ago, lew said:

Those big old pine trees don't have much of a root system. Glad no one was hurt.

I imagine the variable speed control was hit with too much voltage. Might be repairable. Looks like a new one is north of $300! Could be something as simple as a fuse but there's now way of being certain without looking.

Don't know much about doing it but putting a Hitachi drive on it would run about $150.00 I think. That's assuming the motor is still good.

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

Don't know much about doing it but putting a Hitachi drive on it would run about $150.00 I think. That's assuming the motor is still good.

Steve

I really like that lathe so I sprang for the O.E.M. parts.  I didn't want to do any alterations to it.  Control board with potentiometer $268.00 plus $23.00 for shipping in 7 to 14 days.  Only took an hour and a half to get the service rep on the phone to confirm what I thought I needed and order the part.  Horrible service!

9 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

I really like that lathe so I sprang for the O.E.M. parts.  I didn't want to do any alterations to it.  Control board with potentiometer $268.00 plus $23.00 for shipping in 7 to 14 days.  Only took an hour and a half to get the service rep on the phone to confirm what I thought I needed and order the part.  Horrible service!

That is bad but I have heard that about Delta over and over. It's sad but good customer service is a thing of the past for many companies. I had to jump through hoops to get any help from Nova when I needed it.  Hope it all goes well for you from here.

Steve

37 minutes ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

That is bad but I have heard that about Delta over and over. It's sad but good customer service is a thing of the past for many companies. I had to jump through hoops to get any help from Nova when I needed it.  Hope it all goes well for you from here.

Steve

Well I am not dead in the water.  I have a Grizzly Midi lathe that I haven't turned much on.  I'll give it a workout.  Young guy across the street is out of work and said he'll clean the mess up out there for a hundred bucks.  Makes me happy.  It worked up a good blow again today and blew the pear tree over in the back yard.  Been expecting that, it was full of ants.  Just amazed it didn't come down yesterday but the wind blew straight down the street.  No damage in the back yards on either side of the street.

14 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Well I am not dead in the water.  I have a Grizzly Midi lathe that I haven't turned much on.  I'll give it a workout.  Young guy across the street is out of work and said he'll clean the mess up out there for a hundred bucks.  Makes me happy.  It worked up a good blow again today and blew the pear tree over in the back yard.  Been expecting that, it was full of ants.  Just amazed it didn't come down yesterday but the wind blew straight down the street.  No damage in the back yards on either side of the street.

It almost sounds like a very small, but extremely powerful, mini-storm came through. I am sure the weather people have a specific name for it.

Geez Dan...and I thought my weekend was bad...my strep throat will go away in a few days. We had some strong winds here too about  3 hours before you but nothing like you experienced.

Glad you're OK as well as the rest of the neighborhood folks. Isn't the damage to your shed in almost the identical location as last year when the lightening zapped it? Kinda spooky for sure.

2 hours ago, HandyDan said:

blew the pear tree over in the back yard.

On the upside, sounds like you just scored some fruit wood to turn though...something new for the pens, I/O ornaments, tops and ???

You might also be able to pick-up some other nice pieces from your neighbors...looks like several fir/spruce trees from the pictures but, worth a trip on the 4 wheeler to scout out for deciduous varieties.

Sorry about the lathe...going forward can the lathe be plugged into a surge protector or does it draw to many amps? At $250 plus, might be worth investigating.

2 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Geez Dan...and I thought my weekend was bad...my strep throat will go away in a few days. We had some strong winds here too about  3 hours before you but nothing like you experienced.

Glad you're OK as well as the rest of the neighborhood folks. Isn't the damage to your shed in almost the identical location as last year when the lightening zapped it? Kinda spooky for sure.

On the upside, sounds like you just scored some fruit wood to turn though...something new for the pens, I/O ornaments, tops and ???

You might also be able to pick-up some other nice pieces from your neighbors...looks like several fir/spruce trees from the pictures but, worth a trip on the 4 wheeler to scout out for deciduous varieties.

Sorry about the lathe...going forward can the lathe be plugged into a surge protector or does it draw to many amps? At $250 plus, might be worth investigating.

That is last years lightening picture as mentioned but I keep getting punched in the nose year after year.  I guess it has to quit sometime.   

11 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Don't know but this is the third time in about five years.  Five years ago a tree fell on the garage but I somehow lost the pictures for that.  Remember last years Lightening strike and now this.  She hates me.

Dave, if it is storming I don't work on the lathe and I unplug it EVERY TIME I am done for the day.  That day was sunny and nice as could be.  Those pictures show how sunny it was that day.  Freak storm for sure.