wood to turn

Ron Altier

The best is cherry, maple, walnut. Have turned white oak and red oak but the red does crack pretty bad when drying. Very hard but turns well would be ebony. Rosewood not quite so hard and turns very well.

Would not recommend Chinese Chestnut and Royal Paulina. Mahogany turns easily but does not leave a sand free surface.

Any wood can be turned but as noted there are several that will not easily leave a smooth surface from tools .

My favorite wood to turn is maple, it's just so versatile. Next would be cherry and then walnut. Sycamore and beech turn and spalt nicely. I tried turning catalpa once, it is beautiful but it also makes me itch and it is very dusty. I pretty much stick with domestic hard woods, just not ready to blow up an expensive import.

Steve

My daughter went to Rocklers and picked up about 15 pieces of different woods and acrylic blocks for my birthday. She knows nothing about it and most are really nice. I am finding out that not all turn nicely and some are down right difficult. After I saw your favorites,  I agree with your choices.

Edited by Ron Altier

I just picked up a block of Ambrosia Maple.  Look forward to making some kind of rounded bowl shaped thing out of it.  Others like Walnut, and I like the finished product but the dust drives me batty.  Really bothers my respiratory system like no other wood.  The most difficult wood I have turned was Kiawe from Hawaii.  Very hard wood, better used for meat smoking from what I have heard.  An old tree fell on base Pearl harbor and I was able to talk the Arborist into letting me have a few logs.  May make a bowl from one of the larger pieces but I know it will be a struggle like no other.