HANDY STORAGE ? ?

NURSING CRIPPLED LEG BUT, will set up in a two car garage,ok.  Have 4 x 8 work table.GONNA frame with 2x6's. Top frame will have a floor on bottom of 2x. This floor will be where several things will live til needed. OK, TOP will be 3/4 ply x 8',cut in half, piano hinge on one side, so i can raise 4' section, remove or take out whats needed. SURE i could have a shelve lower down for etc., etc.  WHATA YA THINK, BE BRUTAL..

If I understand you correctly,

I'd opt for a Paulk-style top.  The sides (your 2x6s) will have cut-outs to make interior storage area.  It's a modified torsion box.   A lot of the beam strength comes from the distance between the top and bottom (like an I-beam) and adding a torsion box style interior increases the overall stiffness.  The cutouts allow access and also reduce the weight (Ron Paulk's original design allowed for a knock-down carried from his truck to on-site contracting work.)  I think it was this video where he concludes since Jay's use is not needed to be portable, he'd make one large top instead of two small ones butted up.

https://jayscustomcreations.com/2015/06/modified-paulk-workbench/

Edited by kmealy