Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! April 10, 2017

Good morning ladies and gents!

And what a wonderful morning it is. I love getting up pre-dawn, the world is quiet, I get a chance to get my thoughts together for the day before I head off to race for the day job. It's a new week, last week is gone, and we have the gift of a new week ahead, and it's a clean slate!

So the big question of the week, what have you done over the past weekend, and what are your plans for the week ahead!

This weekend I got to spend some quality time in the shop and fire up another rocking chair. To follow the topic I started for the rocker, please see this link at:

The above topic will be a rolling one, where I'll add progress images as I roll along. Thank you for following!

Community news

• We have a new forum host! @Chips N Dust has volunteered his valuable time to help keep our Free For All forum fun and interesting. It takes time to host our forums, and all our hosts have stepped up to the plate and donate their valuable time to our community, so too show your appreciation for a new host who will be here to serve you, please shoot on over to our Welcome Topic for Chips N Dust and wish him well in his new duties.
  • Member map: It's back!!!!! And this time for good, and permanently. We had some major glitches in the old member map, it showed some of you living on top of Mt. Everest when we know for a fact you lived in Montana! Our new map is free of errors, and ready for you to share your general location. You can dictate how much location information to enter for your pin map symbol. If you only want folks to know what state you live in, just type in the state, or county and state, or city, or if you are a completely open person, you can even type in your exact address. Your choice! Please go to Member Map or click on the tab above our community.
  • New Woodcarving Gallery opened up last week. We now have a dedicated Woodcarving Gallery thanks to the suggestion by @Jiggy.

Featured gallery

New member Jiggy carves birds and hands them out to folks who really need a pick up. His birds make it to the hands of hospice patients, and other humans who need something to touch, and cheer up their day. See Jiggy's birds:

Image of the week

By Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums - Brazing blades (1914 – 18), No restrictions, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=50660045

These images belong to the Parsons’ ‘Women Labourers’ photograph album, taken at Parsons’ Works on Shields Road during the First World War. (TWAM ref: 2402) The factory was founded by engineer Charles Parsons, best known for his invention of the steam turbine. In 1914, with the outbreak of war, Parsons’ daughter Rachel, one of the first three women to study engineering at Cambridge, replaced her brother on the board of directors, and took on a role in the training department of the Ministry of Munitions, supporting the increasing amount of women taking on jobs in industry to support the war effort. More information about Rachel Parsons and Parsons’ Works can be found in Great North Greats a guest post by David Wright.

Brazing_blades_(1914_–_18)_(17536285214).jpg

Member Map Update

Cal found out that when he entered his location at the member map, he ended up with a spinning wheel, I apologize for that, right now the map is set so that new markers must be approved by admins, it should not be that way, you should be able to enter without approval. We'll get that fixed asap!

20 minutes ago, steamshovel said:

I tried to put my location on the member map and it showed it did, but when I logged off and came back it was not there.

Preston

Today will be fixed by end of day Preston. It's an approval switch that should not be on. Well get it fixed asap.

It was a nice weather weekend.  I spent some time outside just for the fun, no yard work.  Been working on a new project making pens and spent some time applying finish to the first batch.  Saturday I cut 27 more blanks to turn into pens so I will work on those this week.

My nephew's girl friend has a consignment furniture store and need a peg duplicated for an old wooden coat tree.  It was a fun little project.

002.JPG.bac60f396bac320bdd379430f75bbd35.JPG

The weekend wasn't very productive, shopwise. 

My router table is without a track. Usually, that's no biggie. But, with cuts at the end of long pieces, not having a track for a miter gauge can be problematic. The table set up (Jointech) came with a neat "pusher" that rides the fence, locked in with a dove tail. The face is just about 6" wide. It's great for anything 2' long but, my gun case sides are 42". So, Saturday, was spent making a longer face to support the boards. Which meant a trip to town for toilet bolts. And, of course, frugal Phyl had some groceries she needed while I was there. So, there went another hour. 

Finally got the face extension installed and called it a day. 

Sunday, I got to use it. Got all the rabbets (rebates?) cut. To celebrate, I sat down with a Scotch and did some crosswords. 

Today, I'll get some pictures of the set up and results. They'll be posted on the 'Work has Commenced' thread for those with the patience to follow my incredibly slow progress.

1 minute ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

No, it would normally get used 5-6+ times. In a decade of screwy winters, this one has been the screwiest.

The rest of the nation had record cold levels, even here in southern CA, we had a great winter, it felt like winter, hmmm, and Ohio is hung out to dry, crazy indeed.

SA; CEL on my daughters van...diagnosed #6 cylinder; changed spark plug, cleared codes...so far so good; Spent remainder of day getting chainsaw fired up and cutting brush, downed limbs etc. Supervised (teenage) grand-daughters on stick, brush and debris clearing; Assigned each their own wheel barrow and sections of the property; easier that way and a whole lot less refereeing required.:rolleyes:

SU: Sunday School / Church then combined Birthday party for both grand-sons (6 & 3) and family & friends held at Boys & Girls Club (daughter is a Program Director there).

On the phone a lot yesterday dealing with insurance companies plus normal daily chauffeur services; a little time in the garage yesterday PM cleaning up and back to chisel tune up; Last 2+ hours met with Insurance Adjuster of responsible party to estimate damage to my truck; $5100+,:o but repairable; spent wait time in garage doing more sharpening...I find sharpening very relaxing and stress reducing...-_-

Three tennis matches this week plus chauffeuring;  this PM, a reciprocating saw to folded up tail pipes on truck, then to body shop queue; get mowers going...rest of week will be mowing, trimming and more brush cutting...