Time for your yearly testing...

Stick486

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, HARO50 said:

I love history with a personal twist. Why not start a "History" thread?

John

Sounds Great!

13 hours ago, steven newman said:

That fellow on the right front handle?  That was my Grandpa Lew Newman.  Picture was taken about 1905 or so.    Crossing is on St Rt 47, on the D.T. & I RR.  Notice the cattle crossing guards?   I think the other two tall gentlemen were Lew's brothers.    Grandpa Lew stood at 6'2"......he had a sister who was 6'5". 

Three versions of that D.T. & I:   "Darnn Tiresome and Inconvenient"........".Dagos, Tramps and Irishmen"   or Detroit, Toledo, and Ironton RR.....

Grandpa Lew would walk home every evening, from putting away the speeder car at Morgan Tower.    People would set their watch by when he walked by, as it was as regular as clockwork.

There are a few other stories about him...if anyone wants to hear them....

I would like to hear...

Near as I can tell....

Left ireland in the late 1700s, and settled up around the Finger Lakes area of New York. 

Abner Newman bought a 1000 acres of Government land in the Ohio Terr.  around 1815, and traveled to marietta, ohio.    The Newmans and three other families traveled north from there, arriving in the Logan County area about 1820.   Abner then started a Methodist Church in a corner of his lands, first as a log cabin "Meeting House"  then later built Olive Chapel.  

One of Abner's sons was Henry Harrison Newman,   and one of Harry's sons was Perry Newman.   Perry enlisted in the OVI during 1864, and was mustered out after the war.   He is buried down in the VA Graveyard in Dayton, Oh.   One of Perry's sons was named  Marion Lewis Newman.   Know as Lew.    Lew and his two brothers lived in the Quincy,Ohio area.    One of Lew's many children, was my Dad.....Carl Homer Newman.   Aka "Sonny" Newman....

There you have the history of how I got here.....

Archived