Fixing a Loose Round Tenon

A foxed tenon is when you cut a slot in the tenon and use a wedge in the end, but also on a foxed tenon the hole (mortise) is slightly wider in the very bottom. What this does is not only fill the space but creates a joint you cannot pull apart without cutting the wood or drilling tenon out. And no I have not done that but learned about it in one of Ralphs Wood quizes.

1 hour ago, Gerald said:

A foxed tenon is when you cut a slot in the tenon and use a wedge in the end, but also on a foxed tenon the hole (mortise) is slightly wider in the very bottom. What this does is not only fill the space but creates a joint you cannot pull apart without cutting the wood or drilling tenon out. And no I have not done that but learned about it in one of Ralphs Wood quizes.

So it would have to be a through tenon?

55 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Another option is to cut off the tenon, drill a mortise in the arm, and glue in a piece of dowel.   Can turn/shape the dowel if needed.

That seems like a nightmare attempt Keith. Can you imagine getting a bit to go in perfectly to that arm, so that after the dowel is inserted, the angle the dowel needs to be at, would be dead on alignment for the arm to meet up at the front leg after it's inserted into the rear leg? Since the arm is skewed, and the square reference is gone, to get that dowel in at the precise angle, whew, makes my head spin just thinking about it. Plus, drilling out the hole in such a slender form, you also risk cracking the arm narrow. It sounds solid, but after ya think about it, the execution would be a nightmare.

48 minutes ago, John Morris said:

So it would have to be a through tenon?

no...

use a single double tapered wedge...

use this pic as a an idea former...

f158.jpg&f=1

these legs are set up for single wedge wedged fox tenon...

tenons_w_kerf_wp.jpg?w=640&f=1

here's w/ a double wedge... (cut away)...

this joint won't come apart...

35630-02-1000.jpg&f=1

Edited by Stick486

47 minutes ago, John Hechel said:

Oh now that is cool.

I like it John, thanks.

All that being said, the wonderful thing about the post and rung chairs, especially in the shaker fashion, they are easy to repair, if you get a busted rung, you can knock the legs down and make the repairs, they planned it that way. Problem with that joint, you aint knockin nuttin apart!:D