BEWARE - Garrett Super Scanner V

So here’s the saga…it may be old news to some of you…

I finally ordered the Garrett Super Scanner V from Amazon.  I figured it was about time as I plan to start using reclaimed wood in the near future.  It seemed that I could practice a bit to make sure the real run would not cost me blades for the 735…

When it came in I opened the Amazon box, carefully packaged BTW, and found a white box with a serial number and barcode on it (see picture).  Inside the white box was a brand new shiny plastic Super Scanner V…or so I thought…(feel the suspense building now…?)

After plugging it in and turning it on I got the tell-tale beep and green light.  I wondered, however, why the manual was labeled Super Scanner (no “V”).  When I went to plug in the 9-volt battery I naturally looked for +- markings but none were to be had.  So trial and error and second try it worked. (Good thing it didn’t take three…).  So far, problem #1…no markings for battery.

I quickly grabbed some screws (drywall, stainless, deck, small, long, etc…) and started testing.  I also pulled some knives and forks and keys and anything metal I could find within arms reach.  It seemed fine until I tried to find a staple.  “What the hey…?”, I said…  I laid the staple on a piece of oak and no beep…I laid the staple on the Garrett and no beep…WHAAAATTTT…?  Obviously I wouldn’t expect to need the Garrett to find a fork in a piece of wood…right…?

So I made a couple of calls and found some inconsistencies…I had a 2-position switch instead of three…HHMMM…and inconsistent test results…

So I then called Garrett and found some interesting information…I HAD A KNOCKOFF…

Apparently, there are two frauds out there…

1. some enterprising young lads/lasses has bought up a potful of the original Super Scanners (Model Nr. 1165180) and are selling them as Super Scanner V’s.  Of course, this requires relabeling the plastic to say “Super Scanner V”…and relabeling the back so it shows a three position switch…beep, off, vibrate…  And then it would take reprinting a serial number and the model number…and so on…

2. just plain ole knockoff…junk on the inside, cheap plastic, appropriate labels…but NOT GARRETT…BTW, the labels are not stick on…they are silkscreened just like the real McCoy…

Both will let the buyer think they have a Super Scanner V…Model Number 1165190

What I found out…

1. Super Scanner "V" serial numbers start with 5…not 3.  If you have a “V”, I would recommend contacting Garrett to verify but you will likely have been using a fake…  The serial number on the box did not match the serial number on the unit.  The serial number on the unit is probably the same for all, or many, of the fakes…

2. “V”s have a three position switch…beep, off, vibrate…if your scanner says “V” but only a two position on/off rocker…guess what…

3. Amazon will refund your money (in accordance with their policy)…they may just tell you to dispose of the one you bought.  They wanted mine back because they don’t believe they have ever heard of this fraud…RIGHT…

4. Almost all sellers that are likely to be fake seem to be using the same pictures in their ads…might be a first clue…

5. A youtube video indicates law enforcement and airport security might be using these fakes…not likely as I don’t believe the TSA is buying from sellers on Amazon or eBay…but “who knows what evil lurks in the minds of men…”  (As if only men are bad…)   (Do a search for "super scanner v fake")

I’m guessing Garrett and Amazon are probably not getting a lot of calls…people are buying and using and probably not aware…  I’m not insulting anybody…just sayin’…

The best part of the story is I’ve been chuckling about this since I found out I was had…a novelty…or maybe I’ve been had in the past and don’t know it…

“only the Shadow knows”

I hope this was enough detail…question away, hose-A…

0305171521_HDR.jpg

0305171522_HDR.jpg

0305171524_HDR.jpg

0305171524a_HDR.jpg

0305171518_HDR.jpg

0305171520_HDR.jpg

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

On 3/7/2017 at 6:05 PM, p_toad said:

Follow-up:   Did you get the V and did it detect the staple? 

Just wondering.  :unsure:

On 3/7/2017 at 9:57 PM, Grandpadave52 said:

Thanks Nick for the heads-up and in-depth research and detail...amazing what scammers will search out to run a con.

Appreciate your post on this subject...and the story write-up was equally entertaining...Sorry you got dooped.

Also curious like p-toad...did you reorder a genuine V?

Not yet...waiting for credit to hit the card...then buy from Garrett authorized dealer...but I do know the real one will pick up a small Swingline staple...

Looking at their background and web page, they appear to be a reputable vendor. They are not only marketing the Garrett detectors, but manufacture their own high end stationary detectors, also. You don't sell equipment worth thousands of dollars without having a good reliable reputation.

I would think that you would be safe buying from them.

On 3/12/2017 at 0:39 PM, Stick486 said:

you got the curiosity up and I went looking...

volumes and pages and documentation out the wazoo on it...

Counterfeit_products.pdf

WOW...that is one powerful read..."everything you wanted to know about counterfeit goods but were afraid to ask.

Thanks for posting this...gonna take a couple reads before it all sinks in...thanks...