Our Wiki Wood Data Base

John Morris

12 minutes ago, Dadio said:

Don't ask him how an old windmill works,unless you want another 3-weeks to a month of reading, VOE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Herb

ahhh Herb...

which kind of mill???

there are drainage mills, post mills (grain grinding) saw mills, generator mills, mills that power the locks and draw bridges and a few other other types...

The Dutch Windmill

20 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Easy on the large file uploads Stick, your going to kill our bandwidth. :)

Thus the reason why I asked if you'd be willing to upload to a separate server.

sorry...

didn't catch your post (it didn't sink in) till after the fact...

and that's all I have...

delete away if they are an issue...

but don't kill the thread... PLEASE!!!

Edited by Stick486

8 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

ahhh Herb...

which kind of mill???

there are drainage mills, post mills (grain grinding) saw mills, generator mills, mills that power the locks and draw bridges and a few other other types...

The Dutch Windmill

You mean there is more?  Just asking, still wading through the last bunch.. Bet that is the reason your computer died, didn't have enough bandwidth or the old windmill inside froze up.

Herb

without having waded thru all the links posted so far, and i haven't even fully read all the books i have about woodworking, it strikes me that trying to create a single resource (wood wiki) to contain everything that could possibly be known about wood for any anticipated reader is foolish.

if anything, provide a list of links and a short description of what the link leads to and its contents.  then people at least can narrow down their reading.

i really don't care about wood strength, hardness, or other physical properties.  i only deal with a limited variety of woods i can obtain, and most of what i build is not structural in nature, although i know enough to design around someone sitting on a table i make.  when you get down to small projects, i'm more interested in the colors and grain than anything else.  will it look cool?

my 2 cents worth on this idea.

Edited by DAB

14 minutes ago, DAB said:

it strikes me that trying to create a single resource (wood wiki) to contain everything that could possibly be known about wood for any anticipated reader is foolish.

to you maybe....

WTB there are many here  that will find find this one stop shopping invaluable...

most any library has a zillion books...

there is nothing that says you have to read them all but they are readily available to you......

Edited by Stick486

22 minutes ago, DAB said:

it strikes me that trying to create a single resource (wood wiki) to contain everything that could possibly be known about wood for any anticipated reader is foolish.

@DAB, you came in too late, the ships done left the dock and the wiki is being built. Foolish? Well, folks have called me foolish on many things I have done in life that turned out to be very successful, like this forum you are on now. I remember some stating this forum wouldn't last a year, it was foolish to try to compete with the "other guys". Well here we are my friend.;)

No one is stating or expecting our wiki to be full of all the world knowledge of everything that has to do with wood or the art and craft and industry thereof. The concept of any wiki is to have a central location, a knowledge base if you will that is collaborated on by you, them, and all of us, it's a group think tank and a group effort. A wiki is a magical thing when it is done right. It allows the collaborative, us, to swarm a genre, a topic, a research page, a wood database, a research page on a specific woodworker, a research page on a specific tool, it's an online historical database of what you, us, them, contribute too, edit, build upon, and to create something really cool, a knowledge-base built by you, and me. And, if you don't like a wood data base, guess what, you can move right on past it to something that interest you more! Now how cool is that!

Hang in there buddy, once we get our wiki up and running, you'll see it'll be a wonderful thing, for folks from all over to use as they see fit. It will be an open source place anyone can go to, and upload, download, contribute and edit, and leave their mark. Hang in there!:)