Decking material choices

Gary Hanscom

Finally decided to redo the decking material around our 18X36 in ground pool. Currently it consists of 2X6 pressure treated lumber that is quite old. Giving some thought to the composite boards and understand there is quite a price difference between PT and composite. But, putting price aside, what does everyone think about the choices available? I live in Maine so temperature extremes are a consideration and yearly maintenance on wood is a must. Any preferences out there?

Thanks,

Gary

We have a fair amount of decking around the pond, and I wondered about replacing it with the composite stuff as well. I haven't looked into it as much as I need too, but Gene's statement about the closer supports is a real bummer when it's a re-fit job. You will need (probably) to add some support framing. In my case a lot of it (if I go that route).

As you say Fred, my current 2X6 deck boards are on 16 inch centers AND they run perpendicular to the pool walls! Thinking I may like the new deck to run parallel to the pool walls which will mean a complete overhaul of the substructure. More bucks for sure. Hoping that in the long run it will help the value of the home when we eventually move to senior housing some day.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Gary

I wonder if you could just put the composite decking onto the 2x6 material? My framing isn't even every 16", the reason it would take a whole lot of additional framing to use the composite stuff. I realize there may be just height issues with just covering the 2x material, but it would make thing a heck of a lot more simple.

37 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I wonder if you could just put the composite decking onto the 2x6 material? My framing isn't even every 16", the reason it would take a whole lot of additional framing to use the composite stuff. I realize there may be just height issues with just covering the 2x material, but it would make thing a heck of a lot more simple.

I'd be afraid of trapped moisture rotting the 2x material. 

or maybe put 1/4" thick treated stringers across the 2x stock every 12" and screw the composite through them to the decking? That would leave a gap sufficient (?) for drying. Of course, you wouldn't drive over to Lowes and get the stringers, I guess you would have to cut your own by ripping down 2x treated stick (ugh).

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr