Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Gary Hanscom

Decking material choices

Rate this topic

Finally decided to redo the decking material around our 18X36 in ground pool. Currently it consists of 2X6 pressure treated lumber that is quite old. Giving some thought to the composite boards and understand there is quite a price difference between PT and composite. But, putting price aside, what does everyone think about the choices available? I live in Maine so temperature extremes are a consideration and yearly maintenance on wood is a must. Any preferences out there?

Thanks,

Gary

My BIL in IL, has had a composite deck around his above ground pool for around 12 years. So far as I know, he's had no issues.  You do need closer/more support joists, though. His are 12" OC. No sags.

53 minutes ago, lew said:

The only bad thing I've heard about composite material (south central PA) for pool areas is that the surface gets really hot for bare feet.

hates UV too...

We have a fair amount of decking around the pond, and I wondered about replacing it with the composite stuff as well. I haven't looked into it as much as I need too, but Gene's statement about the closer supports is a real bummer when it's a re-fit job. You will need (probably) to add some support framing. In my case a lot of it (if I go that route).

As you say Fred, my current 2X6 deck boards are on 16 inch centers AND they run perpendicular to the pool walls! Thinking I may like the new deck to run parallel to the pool walls which will mean a complete overhaul of the substructure. More bucks for sure. Hoping that in the long run it will help the value of the home when we eventually move to senior housing some day.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Gary

I know it's a bit hard to find, and pricey here in New England, but I like western Red Cedar for decking.  Composite decking does require more support. No less than 12" on center. 

I wonder if you could just put the composite decking onto the 2x6 material? My framing isn't even every 16", the reason it would take a whole lot of additional framing to use the composite stuff. I realize there may be just height issues with just covering the 2x material, but it would make thing a heck of a lot more simple.

37 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I wonder if you could just put the composite decking onto the 2x6 material? My framing isn't even every 16", the reason it would take a whole lot of additional framing to use the composite stuff. I realize there may be just height issues with just covering the 2x material, but it would make thing a heck of a lot more simple.

I'd be afraid of trapped moisture rotting the 2x material. 

10 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

+1

22 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

+2

John

That would be a good idea Fred, even if you pulled out every other 2X6 for taking care (maybe) of the moisture consideration.  Unfortunately, it would indeed put the surface above the pool edge trim.

What do you guys think of pulling every other existing 2X6 though? A viable option?

Gary

or maybe put 1/4" thick treated stringers across the 2x stock every 12" and screw the composite through them to the decking? That would leave a gap sufficient (?) for drying. Of course, you wouldn't drive over to Lowes and get the stringers, I guess you would have to cut your own by ripping down 2x treated stick (ugh).

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

(ugh).

Yup. Wear a good mask!

John

I know cost has to be a consideration, but my dad always said, 

" if you don't want to take the time to do it right, don't do it at all". I think that taking time includes doing it when you  find a way to fund the project. You won't be happy if it isn't done right.

7 hours ago, It Was Al B said:

You won't be happy if it isn't done right.

copy that...

14 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

put 1/4" thick treated stringers across the 2x stock

huh???

Just lay 1/4" thick strips of treated stock much as you would have the added framing. This would just be on top of the existing decking, then put the composite on that to provide a 1/4" separation between the composite and the old deck....it's just a thought (or question).

4 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Just lay 1/4" thick strips of treated stock much as you would have the added framing

stickers...

seen that done...

allows for serious crud/organic material collectiontrapment that promotes rot...