Jewelry & Lingerie Chest Plans

Chips N Dust

Kelly, from the description from Highland, appears it's from U-Build...Woodsmith uses some U-Build project plans...not sure if this was one within an article or not??? Appears Rockler has the same plans too. Birthday coming up already??:rolleyes::P

Rockler Plans

U-Build Plans

1 hour ago, Chips N Dust said:

Does anyone know if this was a WOOD or WoodSmith plan?

The Jewelry & Lingerie Chest Plan will help you create a beautiful and functional piece of furniture. The classic design is easy to accomplish using U-Bild's straightforward building plans. Step-by-step instructions, full size patterns, exploded diagrams, a detailed materials list and cutting schedule are included in the plan. The finished project measures 39 inches tall by 19 inches wide by 12 inches deep. A mirror can be attached to the underside of the top panel. Finished chest will have seven drawers, five small and two large.

Kelly the plans or varieties of the original  can be used for years making lots of different designs. So the 8.95 would be reasonable the first set of plans and go from there. I made more trips back and forth to the store I was using for my plans and cost way more than that..

I go and take measurements and go from there. I had found three floor models so I got the sizes of the largest . My first concern was the thickness of the wood used for I could tell this wasn't 3/4" thick. So after inspecting a few free standing jewelry boxes I decided 5/8 and 1/2" thick wood is the best thicknesses.

So I had to wait till I had bought a planer and a drum sander and I already had a band saw to come up with the wood to build one of these.

Drawers are 3/8" sides with 1/8" bottoms.

IMG_8470.JPG

34 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

So I had to wait till I had bought a planer

That's why I haven't built one. Not that it would be anywhere near as large or fancy as the picture! If I had to buy 1/4" and 3/8" wood, the cost would be as much as the fanciest finished box I can buy. And that's just for birch or maple!

John

FWIW, 1/4" maple for dividers for a 13" wide cutlery drawer set me back over $20.

Dave this was one of the 4 I cut out by the side of the motor home in Colo. in about 04. I always prepare all the wood at home so all I had to do camping was attach the pattern and saw. Then load a basement full of equipment and while up there, we wood work every other day then sight see in the car the other days. Get up real early and take off one direction for half a day, turn around and go back the rest of the day. Never the same roads.

Wife took her stained glass stuff.

boxes for jewels.jpg

Not bandsaw boxes!!!!!!!!!!!!  This was my welding rod group, three of the four. I use welding rod and brass braising rod for handles or parts  of handles. It bends to shape and holds its shine with clear lacquer and I already have this stuff. All were sawed out with the scrollsaw meaning no cuts between drawers. I can make a band saw box in a day. One of these 3 or 4 weeks. Thats why you don't see boxes built like these. Other guys ain't that stupid!!different angle.jpg

You can't make a bandsaw box with this close tolerance.

53 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

Not bandsaw boxes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooops...my bad...:P Sorry:blush: I think I knew this but obviously forgot...probably all the raps to my head on the frame of my truck when I replace the starter this week...:blink:

53 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

I can make a band saw box in a day. One of these 3 or 4 weeks. Thats why you don't see boxes built like these. Other guys ain't that stupid!!  You can't make a bandsaw box with this close tolerance.

You've just got the gift of patience to be this creative...I exchanged that gift for good looks...:rolleyes: turns out I got scammed on that deal too :huh:

Thanks Patch for posting the close-ups...these boxes are awesome.

Grandpaw Dave the good looks would be more important any day over determination. Thats what I call it for I have to be doing something so I plan my days with what lumber I have plus what tools I have in the shop to complete my projects. Those 4 jewelry boxes were pushing the limits of a 14" Sears band saw for resawing, a Dewalt scrollsaw and a oscillating spindle sander which I had just bought a model that had 9" long spindles. I had built one other jewelry box before the 4 while camping of the same dimentions without hardly any assist of power tools and the amount of hand sanding on just the outside took one week of sanding.. I learned my lessons as I got into more and more woodworking.

One machine no one hardly ever mentions is the 1x42" belt sander. which comes with a 10" sanding disk. I use one all the time.  Especially for sharpening things.  The model 1x42 is way better than the 1x30. A wore out fine grit belt is perfect for lathe tools down to my pocket knives and everything in between.

Thats the machine most guys use to sharpen tools at big first monday sales .

Cheers for I smell food cooking.