The old wood forum archives

When the "WOOD" magazine forums were getting ready to shut down I understood the content was to be deleted. I stumbled across an old post of mine from 2011 the other day. Don't know if all the content is still out there but this one is for sure.

Replacing a round tenon

Steve

Edited by Steve Krumanaker
clumsy

Looks like there's a lot still left on Wood Community. I still miss that community forum and am very disappointed that they did not think enough of us to keep it going! This is a good replacement but not seem to have as much activity. Hope it grows, and I will stick around either way. When my subscription ends, I might change to another magazine. What is your suggestion on mags?

Edited by oldwoodie
Thought of something else to add.

46 minutes ago, oldwoodie said:

Looks like there's a lot still left on Wood Community. I still miss that community forum and am very disappointed that they did not think enough of us to keep it going! This is a good replacement but not seem to have as much activity. Hope it grows, and I will stick around either way. When my subscription ends, I might change to another magazine. What is your suggestion on mags?

oldwoodie and all, please use our invite feature and get your pals over here!

14 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

I noticed that some time ago.  It's all there and the search feature works too.

http://208.74.204.79/

How cool would it be to transfer all that information here, to The Patriot Woodworker, into a separate WOOD Archive forum?

Just now, Stick486 said:

no problem...

since it was Steve's material couldn't he post it...

I don't believe so, at least not in it's entirety, if you guys will give me a chance to research this subject, I can get back with you all with some solid answers. One thing to keep in mind, once you post something within a forum structure, it becomes the property of the forum community, in general.

Please let me look into this.

3 hours ago, Dadio said:

I love my Zyliss vise too.

Herb

Funny, that comment on the original post about "most of them are still in the original box."   I remember seeing them at the woodworking shows as "it slices, it dices, it holds your wood this way and that way.   But wait, there's more if you buy now...."    Lot of impulse purchases, apparently.

When my brother's father-in-law died, he called me and asked what I knew about this thing he found, a Zyliss vice.   I pretty much told him the above.

Then a few years ago, I got a bunch of freebies via Freecycle, and amongst the goods was a Zyliss that I use.   I also have a benchtop Workmate and between the two of them, they handle the little jobs on my work table.

This subject is kinda strange for my daughter got a hold of the Wood people and tried to get all of my pictures and the dialog between me and all who commented on what ever we talked about. Each year for Christmas she and a few more were putting all this garbo into a bound book so lots of how and what we posted I have for a keepsake thingy. I didn't tell her Wood was shut down and when she tried to get on Wood, nothing so she started searching and was told none of it could be retrieved..

IMG_8405.JPGIMG_8409.JPGIMG_8407.JPGIMG_8407.JPG

She captured lots of the comments between me and who ever and reading them later actually were quite funny. Then a lot of the pictures were also added when they came to see us working in my shop.  So I have Wood and lots and lots of you all to thank.

Like the picture she added on the front of this book. When I posted it on Wood I explained I had found this container on an expedition across the Arabian desert way back yonder. And later this group of researchers proved something like this was actually a water bottle way back then. And this is the reason no one hardly ever got all the way across that desert, why, because of all the holes, the water leaked out just about the same day they put the water in.. This wasn't exactly the words I relayed to the Wood bunch but the drift was the same. Anything I could think of at the time I passed it along to the suckers reading it at Wood. Certainly not to make anyone look like fools but to get these odd looks on their faces and think should I really believe that or what? Most of the time no one really knew to believe me or what...Same now, my wife don't ever know if she should believe me or what...

IMG_8407.JPG

we were told by Wood if there was anything we wanted to save get done before the plug was pulled...

Highlighted

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

When this forum closes down..

‎08-12-2016 09:19 PM

...it's going to be deleted and the content will be gone.

And what that means is that if you have any PHOTOS or other CONTENT that you want to keep, please take the necessary steps to copy it to your own computers.

Just a word to the wise. 

Best,

Matt Seiler
Forum Moderator

Message 1 of 6 (1,645 Views)

I still remember a really funny story Buck Nall posted on the Wood forum. Later he was actually trying to publish that same story in a coon hunting (I think) magazine, the story involved his new Makita sander and a coon hound pup as I recall. Anyway, he said later he got it published, but it must have been like pulling teeth over at Meridith to get the needed permissions to do so.