MWTCA January 2017 "What's It" Project

John Morris

The spur has sides of two different lengths. The side closet to the bolt is wore as if something has been sliding through it, similar to the wear on the nuts. The side of the bolt not seen in the first pic but can be seen in the second also appears to be worn. This leads me to think the bending action could be changed right or left just by turning the tool over.

John Moody and I were discussing this item today and one thing we agree on is that it may not be all that old because the nuts are hex, not square.  Square nuts were used into the 1930-40's.

Let me tag sometime onto this.  When industry began to shift from square nuts to hex nuts, the early hex nuts were of a different, larger variety.  Case in point, today a 3/8-16 nut requires a 9/16" wrench but the earlier nuts required a 5/8" wrench.  It looks like the nuts on this tool are thinner.  Of course, they could have been replaced too.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been staring at this thing off and on for the most of the month now. And the only thing my mind keeps coming back to is some type of bending tool. As it is a relatively small tool, it would have to be applied to something without much resistance to bend. And due to the nature of the swing opening, it appears that the item to be bent would be a pipe/tube already installed somehow somewhere and already in the shape of nearly a 90 degree bend. Also, it appears that as the spring is not worn/damaged, nothing is placed on the spring side of the tent shaped piece, thus leading you to think the item to be bent would be on the outboard end of the tool. So , all that said which probably makes little sense, I think this is a fine adjustment tool for something like soft copper tubing during an installation process in a heating/cooling environment. 

Gary

I posed the question on a small site I go to and received this response.

Dan, this is an antique nut splitter. Mechanics use them to split nuts that are stripped or frozen in-place, usually on old engines.  If you Google "nut splitter" you'll see the modern versions.

Tomas

I still think it is some type of crimping tool.

Edited by HandyDan