MWTCA January 2017 "What's It" Project

John Morris

" The history of FORUM B + V Oil Tools has begun for over 45 years with the simple idea of forging Elevator Links at its own blacksmith shop. Manufacturing of Pipe Handling Tools started to be a lucrative business for the shipyard so that FORUM B+V Oil Tools enlarged its product range step by step over the years."

B + B = Blohm + Voss.  

Looks like a tool for breaking links...

I am going along Sticks idea..  May be for adjusting tie rods or something similar.    Electrical crimpers (indenters)  have a rounded off edge to prevent cutting of the connector.   Roly

Voss was a grain and implement dealer in Downs Kansas.   Don't know but have a feeling it was to adjust something on a farm implement.

Edited by Roly

I don't have  a clue, but would have guessed something along the line as @Roly...

That said, this likely be a challenging search as the same tool has been involved in a similar search for at least the last 3-1/2 years...:(

http://55tools.blogspot.com/2013_06_01_archive.html

Edit add: need to scroll down to third picture sets

Edited by Grandpadave52

All - I believe this tool is used to crimp the posts on chain links.   For example, if a piece of machinery had to have a chain removed for maintenance, the replacement chain would be installed and then require the posts on the "connector' link to be crimped so the link became a permanent part of the chain.  The jaws on this device open up so as to allow the chain to be enclosed in the jaws and the nuts tighten down on the chain to make the crimp.   Doing this does not take a great deal of leverage, hence the short handle. 

51 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

can't find a picture old enough for that style...

Steve describes it pretty well...

Steve's description makes absolutely no sense to this non mechanical guy. I was hoping for something even in modern era to demonstrate what a tool like this does? A tool like it, used in today, for the purpose described.

I don't even know what a throttle rod is.

Image result for drag link sleeveThis sleeve is threaded inside with a left hand thread on one side and a right hand thread on the other end.  Works like a turn buckle to shorten or lengthen a rod. The tooth on the tool engages the slot which opens it up and turns it.

Roly 

Edited by Roly

Handle on a Steam Engine's Air brake/engine brake valves.   The pictures I just looked up show it enclosed under a top cover.

Dad used to work as a Fireman on the D T & I steam locomotives, shoveled coal from Flat Rock, MI down to Ironton, Oh, and back.    More or less lost his job when the railroad went all diesel in the mid 1950s....

35 minutes ago, Roly said:

Image result for drag link sleeveThis sleeve is threaded inside with a left hand thread on one side and a right hand thread on the other end.  Works like a turn buckle to shorten or lengthen a rod. The tooth on the tool engages the slot which opens it up and turns it.

Roly 

Thanks Roly, and the "What's it" would have the same use as this tool pictured above?

8 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Thanks Roly, and the "What's it" would have the same use as this tool pictured above?

8 minutes ago, John Morris said:

I'm not going to say that is what the tool is for, for sure.   Just a guess.    With the slot on one side and the spring it is made to place on and off something easily.   Not to be placed on and left on.   Roly