Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Fred W. Hargis Jr

What ceiling height is considered

Rate this topic

"high bay"? My shop has 10' ceilings, and I'm thinking the lights labeled "high bay" aren't necessarily needed for that height. I still hope to put in LED lights, but am a little puzzled about whether the will work just fine at 10' or not.

Fred, a 10' ceiling can still use standard lighting, the high bays are for where-house applications. I worked in a commercial shop quite a few years back and our ceilings must of been 12' and we were still using off the shelf standard 48" bay lighting with flo bulbs.

I can tell you we had plenty of light, and the spread was fine.

I have  been in  mega stores that must have had a thousand florescent bulbs. I've wondered about wattage, spacing and cost to run all of them for an hour.;) You can tell how thrilled I am at mega stores when I count the lights:lol: 

I was thinking thinking it was a commercial building thing....which means the 2 "high bay" lights I bought were a waste of money (I was just trying them out). I have some LED 4 footers coming from Costco to test. Given the height won't be a problem, if they otherwise work I'll finish it up with them.

It's probably of little concern but, LEDs will have less spread than florescent. Nevertheless, 4 of those Costco 2 packs are on my Christmas list. 

The shop has 4 ea. 8' doubles for 28X36. They're aging along with my eyes. I NEED MORE LIGHT!

15 hours ago, Roly said:

High bay is considered to be 20' to 45' ceiling.     Roly

Good solid info Roly, good job!

4 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

It's probably of little concern but, LEDs will have less spread than florescent. Nevertheless, 4 of those Costco 2 packs are on my Christmas list. 

The shop has 4 ea. 8' doubles for 28X36. They're aging along with my eyes. I NEED MORE LIGHT!

I have the same size shop and hve 34-2 tube 4' fixtures and nary a shadow haunts my shop.

I am replacing with LED as they burn out.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

2 hours ago, Dadio said:

I have the same size shop and hve 34-2 tube 4' fixtures and nary a shadow haunts my shop.

I am replacing with LED as they burn out.

Herb

There are corners of my shop I'm afraid to venture into.

Fred

I went to the Lithonia lighting website to help me with my lighting design. There is a tool on their web site that lets you evaluate your work space and determine how many and the placement of lighting to get the design lighting intensity you desire at the elevation you desire. I came across this site in a Fine Woodworking Tools and Shops issues a few years ago. It was very helpful to me. It is linked to Lithonia lighting fixtures but I don't see any problem of substituting other equivalent fixtures. The Fine Woodworking article is in issue #209, Tools and Shops 2010.

We converted to 4' T8 fluorescents from 8' T12s quite a few years ago. Have been replacing them with 4' T8 LEDs that work with the same electronic ballasts. Using 5000K lamps. Gets expensive! There are over 600 lamps in my shop. 

On 12/14/2016 at 6:38 PM, scarletjim said:

Fred

I went to the Lithonia lighting website to help me with my lighting design. There is a tool on their web site that lets you evaluate your work space and determine how many and the placement of lighting to get the design lighting intensity you desire at the elevation you desire. I came across this site in a Fine Woodworking Tools and Shops issues a few years ago. It was very helpful to me. It is linked to Lithonia lighting fixtures but I don't see any problem of substituting other equivalent fixtures. The Fine Woodworking article is in issue #209, Tools and Shops 2010.

@scarletjim

Do you have a like to the tool?

Got it...thanks.

Thanks, I'll have a look see for the placement of the lamps.

if you sprat the reflector w/ chrome or the like paint you'll get better down light..