Gerrit Rietveld "Crate Chair"

kmealy

A designer, perhaps, more than a builder.   He's also famous for his "red and blue" chair. and zig-zag chair.  I had to repair a Red and Blue chair (probably not an original) once, but didn't dare sit in it.     I have a porch that could use some chairs, but I think the standard Adirondack chair is just too big for the space.

You thought that one was expensive, look at the Red & Blue http://www.icollector.com/Gerrit-Rietveld-Red-Blue-chair_i8513387

I built a dozen or so of 1/4 scale chairs for Salvation Army charity auction (I almost said "chairity") to fit 18" American Girl dolls last year.  I used a modified Adirondack Chair pattern (but of course, I could not sit in them)

IMG_5069.JPG

Have a build thread around here...somewhere.    I resawed a couple 4x4s.    The rockers were sawn from a 4/4  x 6"  from Menards.   Couple store bought dowels for rungs.  Most of the rest was from a couple 7' long, non-treated 4x4s.     They used to be a part of the gazebo's frame work.   The four round posts were drawknifed into round from square stock. that was too long for my lathe.   Spokeshave to smooth things out.   Mortise & tenon joints have dowel pins through the tenon

The 2x4s that were a part of the framework for the gazebo were in very bad shape.    Left them sit out by the shed out back.

Go back to page 16, is where the build posts start.   Took a week or two to build.   Not too bad for my first ever rocking chair?

Edited by steven newman

• 2 weeks later...