Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
kmealy

Gerrit Rietveld "Crate Chair"

Rate this topic

Has anyone ever made (or even sat) in one of these?   Are they comfortable at all?

First time I've heard of this builder Kmealy, you peaked my interest, I'll have to do some research now, thanks for the link!

Nope based on the estimated value, I barely can afford to look at them. :P Pretty expensive pallet furniture...Looks like I need to re-tool and start cranking these out...I'd be happy to make and sell these at $1k each...no need to be greedy.:lol:

1 hour ago, Gene Howe said:

Hey, I'll build you a pair for 1/2 price.

That's a deal too! Buy one get one free! :lol::P

Holy cow!!

It's hard enough getting someone to pay a decent price for all the work someone puts into a really nice looking project.

I've never made or heard of these chairs but willing to learn and build one for the price they are getting.

too rich for my blood...

1 minute ago, steven newman said:

Well, I do know of a rocking chair made from old 4 x 4s....

Sweet!

A designer, perhaps, more than a builder.   He's also famous for his "red and blue" chair. and zig-zag chair.  I had to repair a Red and Blue chair (probably not an original) once, but didn't dare sit in it.     I have a porch that could use some chairs, but I think the standard Adirondack chair is just too big for the space.

You thought that one was expensive, look at the Red & Blue http://www.icollector.com/Gerrit-Rietveld-Red-Blue-chair_i8513387

I built a dozen or so of 1/4 scale chairs for Salvation Army charity auction (I almost said "chairity") to fit 18" American Girl dolls last year.  I used a modified Adirondack Chair pattern (but of course, I could not sit in them)

IMG_5069.JPG

23 minutes ago, Cliff said:

It does not look very nice. I can honestly say that I didn't  like a single thing Rievtweld did.  Not his buildings, not his furniture nothing.

Totally agree, Cliff. 

19 hours ago, steven newman said:

front view.JPG

Wonder how much it would bring.........:rolleyes:

I like this 6000 times better than Mr. R. made. (Whisper- that little maple tree in the pot needs some water).

38 minutes ago, Dadio said:

I like this 6000 times better than Mr. R. made. (Whisper- that little maple tree in the pot needs some water).

agreed...

On 10/20/2016 at 7:19 PM, steven newman said:

front view.JPG

Wonder how much it would bring.........:rolleyes:

Steve I really like this chair, how many studs did it take to make that?

Herb

Have a build thread around here...somewhere.    I resawed a couple 4x4s.    The rockers were sawn from a 4/4  x 6"  from Menards.   Couple store bought dowels for rungs.  Most of the rest was from a couple 7' long, non-treated 4x4s.     They used to be a part of the gazebo's frame work.   The four round posts were drawknifed into round from square stock. that was too long for my lathe.   Spokeshave to smooth things out.   Mortise & tenon joints have dowel pins through the tenon. 

The 2x4s that were a part of the framework for the gazebo were in very bad shape.    Left them sit out by the shed out back.

Go back to page 16, is where the build posts start.   Took a week or two to build.   Not too bad for my first ever rocking chair?

Edited by steven newman