It's here, SawStop for the Band Saw

That makes a lot more sense to me. I think saw stop on a table saw may give a lot of people a false sense of security. While I don't want to stick my fingers in a spinning blade, kick back is possibly a much more serious accident. Saw stop does nothing to address that. Should be a great addition to band saws though.

Steve

58 minutes ago, Ron Dudelston said:

I'm with you Dan.  I thought the principle behind the SawStop was reading moisture.  If it read a higher moisture content the safety would kick up. 

Maybe there is a radio active concoction comes with the saw to drink before operating it.

Did a little hunt and peck on this, it is not a contact safety device that reacts to human skin, it is a sensory device. Here is a quote from the brochure: http://www.interfoodtechnology.com/file/download_pdf/01264/BLADESTOPFLYER.pdf

• Upon detecting contact with the operator wearing a sensor band under protective clothing, the moving blade stops in a fraction of a second.
  • Second sensing system detects operator gloves moving too quickly (as in a stumble or flicking motion) in front of the moving blade.

The video Richard provided shows the blade stopping before it even comes into contact with the finger, so in that case the tester flicked their finger quickly, so the saw sensed the flicking motion and the blade stopped before contact was even made.

I am surmising here, but in the case of a slower contact where the operator actually does make contact, the other sensor kicks in.

This is a really neat system for the meat cutting industry, I expect they have a waaaaaay higher rate of amputations and injuries then the woodworking industry does when it comes to blades on stationary machinery, as fast as they are moving, and the repetition involved, man, can you imagine, being on your feet for hours on end cutting and cutting, minds drift and the guys are BS'ng each other too with shop and locker room talk, I am sure things happen frequently.

Having worked in a grocery store as a young man for several years, I had a few friends from the meat cutting sie that had missing fingers. If you watched them worked (especially when they cut chickens on the BS) you wold wonder how they any fingers left at all. This is a real boon to them, although the industry has had many safety enhancements since I was around in the mid to late 60's.

21 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis, Jr said:

Having worked in a grocery store as a young man for several years, I had a few friends from the meat cutting sie that had missing fingers. If you watched them worked (especially when they cut chickens on the BS) you wold wonder how they any fingers left at all. This is a real boon to them, although the industry has had many safety enhancements since I was around in the mid to late 60's.

I whole heatedly agree Fred, this is a wonderful break through for that industry. 

Blade Stop (bandsaw) is a totally different system then the infamous Saw Stop (table saw) system, and that scum sucker Bass has nothing to do with the former.

I believe that the Blade Stop has been around for several years and has been available in the British Isles, Europe and Australia. I'm not sure if it is used anyplace in the Americas.

The Blade Stop (bandsaw) uses a light curtain type system as a primary that detects an unwanted item in the field and shuts down the power. Hence the wrist band worn on the operator's arm (field disruption). It is, also, programmed to detect the Blue colored glove in proximity to the blade and do the same. It is not a contact system like the Saw Stop.

The big box in the video, that you see on the front of the bandsaw blade, is the sensing curtain.

However, I'm all for bashing Bass as the scum sucker he is, so, carry on!

Having dealt with these type of production activities it is generally NOT the push for production that causes these types of injuries, but complacency and boredom on the part of the operator. Operators become apathetic from repetitive motions and stop paying attention. They give themselves over to muscle memory and let their attention wander or find shortcuts for other reasons. Guess what happens then?

When I worked for Case Cutlery I had a woman operating a trip hammer. The almost 100 year old machine was fitted with two palm buttons and a sweep guard. She had tied down the right palm button because she saw it as a wasted motion to manually place the part in the machine's die, move her hand to the palm button, triggering both, and activate the machine. She got distracted and triggered the left button while she was placing the component into the die. The sweep guard came down and trapped her hand while a several ton piece of metal crashed down on her thumb and index finger.

Was she production driven...NOPE! She was actually several weeks ahead on the stock inventory.

when i work in my shop, if i sense that i'm getting tired, or starting to make too many mistakes (like more than one), i take a pause, assess myself, and normally put down the tools, make any notes i need to pick things up another day where i'm leaving off, and call it a day.

nothing is worth bleeding for in a shop.  table late?  too bad, my finger is more important than your pretend deadline.  this table will last hundreds of years if cared for.  getting your hands on it a day later than planned will not reduce your enjoyment of it.

"how long will it take to make X?"  "it will take as long as it takes."  if you are in a hurry, IKEA is that way -------->