On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:40 AM, Wayne Ellington said:

Well I finally got around to getting this project done after several other things that delayed me in getting it finished.  What you think?  I still considered myself as a beginner.  Several for my friends think otherwise.  But they are not woodworkers.

Wayne, looks wonderful! How the drawers assembled, what finish and stain did you use? What was your main joinery method for the case? Thanks for sharing @Wayne Ellington!!!

John

The cabinet bottom I did it as dado and the back as rabbit cut.  Basically the drawers were cut as rabbit and just glue and couple brad nail from my air gun.   The glass door frame  was nothing more than mortise and tenon.  The bookshelf is actually not attached to the cabinet top.  The bottom shelf is dado and did the top section in rabbit as well the back panel.  The rest of the shelves are adjustable by shelf pins holes I drill.  Contruction to me was pretty much straight forward.  The wood and plywood is Red Oak.  The stain I used is MinWax Provincial and the clear is Minwax Clear Semi-Gloss Polyurethane.  Drawers slide arwe full extension slides.

On 9/25/2017 at 5:47 PM, Dadio said:

The only thing with this type of lumber is it makes a mess and is hard on blades. but it is amazing the wood grain that appears when it is cleaned up. It is a joy that makes one forget the mess, and admire the piece when it is done.

Anxious to see what you do with it.

Herb

I heard I will work on these this week. If I heard right it will be 4 tops to make one top. The slabs are 4x$1000.....

4 minutes ago, skiler said:

Being as I was chided thoroughly for posting a clean shop, I thought I would show what's on my benches when I am working in this thread

IMG_0664.thumb.JPG.2820222fab3f55793c8295dcbb2992ba.JPG

:lol::D:lol:...OK, I looked at all the pictures...now, where is the mess?:lol:

BTW...some mighty fine looking dovetails over there...the walnut pieces 'ain't too shabby either.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 12:40 PM, Wayne Ellington said:

Well I finally got around to getting this project done after several other things that delayed me in getting it finished.  What you think?  I still considered myself as a beginner.  Several for my friends think otherwise.  But they are not woodworkers.image.thumb.png.22e8af1f57fd39e900a6f27c1e5a6089.png

That is a beautiful piece of work. You must be a really good beginner!!

On 7/23/2017 at 6:14 PM, lew said:

Sketchup V0.1

I've half-heartily tried to learn Sketchup a couple of times.   The light never seemed to click on when I was trying to do, post partum, a design.   It seemed to have a mind of its own and it wasn't in synch with mine.    Will try later some day.

On 10/7/2017 at 6:38 PM, BillyJack said:

Some more photos of process..

Wow some beautiful pieces of wood. Any estimate on what that slab weighed?

Just curious, how many employees work out of your shop?

NOTE: I thought I had responded with above two days ago, but I must have not hit Submit reply (duh:wub:)...anyways, better late than never.:P

Wow...moderate size company with that many Ee's...one that size is not so common around here...25-50 max or even less.

A lot of very nice equipment, very clean and modern looking with great lighting it appears.

Don't spend to much time researching the weight especially if it's during your work shift hours. I was just curious since it was such a large slab.

Wish I was closer...I'd love to tour that facility.

On 10/7/2017 at 4:20 PM, skiler said:

That is a beautiful piece of work. You must be a really good beginner!!

Skiler  I was out of town for few days.  Well as for being beginner, I started about 26 years ago with jig saw, circular saw and old black and decker fixed base router to make a little old step stool my wife wanted.  When done is was pretty ruff looking.  Still have it  and my wife will not let me toss it out the door.  Guess that when I got bitten  for woodworking.  Basically I'm self taught.  For years I watch The Yankee workshop.  I subscribed to several woodwoking magazine and bought some books to learn.  Some years I didn't do any woodworking due work and other things in life keeping me away.  I know I maybe better than a beginner.  But there is some more to learn and I know there more out there to try.  Bending wood and veneering along woth learining to do intrasia.  I'm good but I'm not that good is my motto.  It help me to keepp trying to do better on the nerxt project not matter what it is.

On 10/10/2017 at 11:41 PM, Grandpadave52 said:

Wow...moderate size company with that many Ee's...one that size is not so common around here...25-50 max or even less.

A lot of very nice equipment, very clean and modern looking with great lighting it appears.

Don't spend to much time researching the weight especially if it's during your work shift hours. I was just curious since it was such a large slab.

Wish I was closer...I'd love to tour that facility.

Or