Need Charles Nicholls

HandyDan

Charles, I know you make string powered throw tops and I need some info.  Do you make them all the same?  I am going to make some for the kids this year and wonder if you might help me out with some pictures and dimensions of yours?  I saw some of yours and would like to know where you get those nice brass tips. 

7 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

Those will surely drill a hole in the floor Stick, they are very sharp pointed, unless you plan on filing the tips a tad. But, there must be a less expensive alternative?

15 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

Dan, don't you have a metal lathe? I would think a length of brass from the hardware would work great for that. For someone with your skills it would be a snap

Steve

I played around with that and was finding it was a pain.  Might have it now.

HI guys and for those that offered suggestions, thanks for that too. I can help with where to get the tips from. http://turnertoys.com/Spinning-Tops-amp-YoYos/Spinning-Top-Parts/

These are not as sharp, BUT they still will damage hardwood floors if thrown hard as kids will do, especially when learning.

As for how exactly to make them (dimesions), I have seen everything from a 3"hx2"w one not including the tip, all the way up to a bowling ball sized one that weighed about 15 pounds. I usually try to stay in the 3"x2" or 3"3" range though. The best spinner I have is 3"x1.5".

They used to make steel tips for these, but there is no one that makes steel tips anymore, even though the image on that site is clearly steel, not brass.

If you like further assistance, send me a direct message and we can discuss what you want or any problems you have.

There is one other site for tips too but they are about the same in price. I see now just by going to this page, http://99b76f29-5036-11e5-be7a-14feb5d40b65.onlinestore.godaddy.com/products/spin-top-points

they may have more options for tips. I have not yet tried the bearing tips or the plastic ones but I will be trying the bearing types soon, they basically spin longer. The one in the video is about 3" H x2.5"W the left one in the still is about 3x3 and the small one is about 3" h x1.5 wide and is my best spinner. at this point

100_0690.MOV

100_0520.JPG

Edited by Charles Nicholls