Your Images on The Patriot Woodworker

John Morris

Dear folks, we had a wonderful discussion on images submitted by you, and how they are used here on The Patriot Woodworker in another un-related topic at

I thought I would open up a designated topic for this area of concern and we can hash it all out here.

I'd like to open this up by stating, I/we completely understand the concerns. And we are open to all suggestions as you all know by now, we take each one very seriously and we act on them.

Firstly I'd like to put out there the philosophy of what our community was built on when it comes to the content, sharing, open source works, and how we use your work.

Community content and images

For the most part your content stays here, considering the ten of thousands of discussions in our forum and our growing gallery of albums, very few are used by us, outside of this community. There are exceptions however. We share your content within the realm of social media and newsletters. The following venues are used by us, to share your content.

Please click on the links below to be taken to our community pages:

Why do we share your work?

Firstly, I am very proud of the work that is submitted here. I love sharing your work to the general public. Also, and mainly, we like to promote our community and our aim is to bring in more members, and create more awareness of our projects and missions benefiting our veterans (a new mission will be announced soon). The equation is, awareness = new members = higher rate of involvement in our veterans projects that we have throughout the year.

So in a nutshell, when we share your work, and your albums, our community benefits, commentary is made on your work within social media, interest is gained, and a new member joins.

Our copyright

Please see our copyright at this link https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/

The above copyright includes all work submitted to our community. This is an open source copyright.

Community open-ness

My personal philosophy regarding the web is this, it is here for many reasons but in my world, mainly for education, study and research, expanding knowledge, meeting friends, experiencing cultures we may never get a chance to experience in our lifetime, and helping others who need the help (in our case we are advocates for our veterans both in the US and Canada.)

With that in mind, our community is open in many ways, anyone can see any part of our community, we are not closed off, we do not have areas for members only, we don't have paid only areas, we do not lock out our guests, they can see everything you can see (but guests cannot participate) and It's virtually impossible to get yourself locked out of our community, unless you did something atrocious or threatened bodily harm to a fellow member or staff.

But, there are two areas "non-logged in" guests cannot see, and that is our Members Profiles and the Member Map. (UPDATE: unknown to me the Member Map has been open to guests, I have changed it as of today)

In closing

I'd like to thank you for reading this far, I thought it was important in the spirit of "Full-Disclosure" and especially in the case of our newest members, that you understand how your content is used by us.

I understand there are concerns about how Google and other search engines use your content, please use this topic to open up your concerns regarding that as well. We want to hear you!

Thank you