Clean up after a rip saw

steven newman

Ok, as part of a test drive for the Aldi's saws..I tried the larger saw as a Rip saw...not that great...

First off, I tried a "kerf cut"  to help guide things along.   Set up a Stanley #45 with the narrow cutter..

kerf cut.JPG

Thing with a 45, you have to keep an eye on the fence, as it tends to slip a bit.  Set about 3/4" in from the edge, with an almost ( fence) matching one one the other side.  Stand this 4x4 straight up in the vise, and try a saw

rip cut.JPG

Super fine sawdust?  This would take all day.. Tried out a little better saw..

rip saw.JPG

Bigger teeth, coarse sawdust.   But, towards the halfway point, noticed the rip saw had drifted a bit to the left.    Flipped the 4x4 over and came down the other side...there is that  drift again.  Will have to "stone" the left side of the teeth..   Finally got this 4x4 cut,  rather a bit ugly...

ugly cut.JPG

Real ugly.   So, I got out a couple other planes.....A cambered jack plane ala Schwarz

cambered jack.JPG

That big old knot kept making things difficult....Then to a larger "try" plane...jumbo jack.JPG

Instead of traversing the grain, I went at an angle to the grain ( plane is a Stanley 5-1/2, T-17)   then, to keep from making a "banana" a LONG plane was used..jointer plane.JPG

A No.7 Jointer should do the trick.    The iron has no camber, and acts almost like a smooth plane

shavings.JPG

See-throughs from a jointer plane.    Still need to do the same with the piece I ripped off.    I think I will stick to Bandsaws  for this sort of work....I am soaked clean through....and in need of a Guiness...was too pooped to try a #3 or #4 smooth plane....

6 hours ago, steven newman said:

I think I'll take a nap after while....an Olde Pharte Power Nap....didn't have a beer in the entire house.

Whew, after reading your adventure here, I'm worn out. Since you're taking a nap, guess it's alright if I take one too! Pretty late now though, so I'll wait and cash in the chip later. ^_^