Best Tool??

Wichman3

What is the "best" tool you have ever acquired? The worst? Any horror stories of a new tool that everyone was touting, but proved worthless for you?

For me, the best is an oscillating multi tool from HF; I've had to repair it once (wire came out of the switch) but it's been a trooper. While I don't use it all the time, there are jobs it will do that nothing else can touch. When it needs replacement I'll spend some real money for a mainstream brand, but for now... it works.

The worst? The early Dremel add-ons that required adapters to make them work, used a couple of times and then forgotten.

Don't really have any horror stories because I am very careful about what I buy (I don't have a lot of discretionary money).

I don't know that I have any best or worst tools! I have a lot of tools that have given me fantastic service over the years. I don't really know which one I would pick as "best". Conversely, I have bought some real dogs, but which one(s) are the worst? Like the good tools it is hard to choose.

If I really have to name a good tool, that has always done the job for me within its capabilities, with the longest service, I would have to say that it is a variable speed Dremel (no attachments). I have had it for 40+ years and it is still going strong. I use it frequently but it is starting to cut out occasionally. It may just need new brushes or the rheostat is toast. When it finally quits then I'll see if it is worth the time. I sure would not want one of the new ones!

As for the worst, I'll second Gene and Kelly on the screw extractors. I have tried using the cheap ones and been frustrated to no end. The good quality ones are a joy to use, but can get kind of pricey for a one or two time tool.

However, like the commercial TV, says, "...that tool you buy to do the job in five minutes and finish up five hours later". I think that we have all had one or two of those. When a tool is bad, it's all bad.

Worst:

1) HF angle grinder. I sent it back the day I got it.

2) one of those rotozip tools.

Best tools. Well there's hand tools and then power.

Power

All my Hammar  & Felder equipment. Just don't look to Felder for  customer service  their customer service guy is little more than a high pressure  gaslighter. He hands you excuses redirects blame to you, even redirects blame to imaginary people who don't exist, and tells you absolute lies,  and can go on for hours.  When you finally get sick of him he starts calling you names, criticizes your life choices, and tells you how  it's all your fault that your "relationship" with Felder is tarnished.   You  literally have to hang up on the moron.  It's like a long play version of  Loretta  Lynch explain how their consent decree  on ICE doesn't say what it actually says.

My walker Turner DP

My Aggazani 20" BS

My made in the USA Milwaukee drills I got the old ones made right here.

My metabo angle grinder

My shop made miller mortiser

I should include my old  Crapsman table saw because  with good  aftermarket fences and a Dayton 3/4 HP motor, it served me well for  nearly 40 years

Hand tools

Plumb Hammer

lie nielson A2 socket Chisels

All the turned mallets I made from a fallen apple tree

My worst tool?  I have to get on board with the PC detail sander, but not because the tool is junk, but because the sandpaper marketed by Klingspoor as specifically for that tool will not stay on the profiles.  I end up using the profiles by hand so that I can hold the paper on, by hand.

Best tool? A low angle block plane from Lee Valley, Veritas brand.  Also, whatever my next tool is that I haven't gotten yet because I can't yet afford it.  Like in the military, your worst duty station was the one you just left, and the best is the one you're going to next.  Got off on a tangent.  I do that sometimes.

• 3 years later...