John Morris

MWTCA September 2016 "What's It" Contest

Rate this topic

I'm thinking it's for book binding...basis for my thinking...?

http://rare-book.blogspot.com/2007/04/1.html

I am beginning to think, as much as we would love this to be a woodworking apparatus, that it is not meant to be mounted onto a bench, really if you look at it, how would you mount this to a bench? There have been some ideas thrown around that this may be a press of sorts, a book binding press, or something to do with the book binding, if you really look at the parts of this, you gotta ask how would it be used for woodworking, it can't mount to a bench, it is free sitting, the square blocks are lock washers of sorts, so the second face does not back off while tightening the first face against it. What say you all?

But then again, after doing a quick google on Book Presses, naw, I don't think so, but I am not sold on it being a woodworking device.

4 hours ago, Ralph Allen Jones said:

Well Fellows,

That is a dowel turning vise used a long time ago before  the mechanized version came into play. They were hand turned since a spokeshave could not get them round enough.

I don't know Ralph!:wacko:

I am trying to see that but I just don't, where are dowels being turned from? If you see the long screws they already have handles like they are to be turned for tightening. Whadya think Ralph?

1 minute ago, Ralph Allen Jones said:

You have a point there John. Could they possibly be a wheel wright's wheel vise?

Boy you got me sir. At this point, the game is afoot, Sherlock!

I'm thinking that the quick release feature was used to get it to go around something where needed instead of sliding it along from the end.  I can't confirm it but thought possibly it may have been used as a chisel guide for timber framing.  Something along this line.

Image result for mortising guide clamp

16 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

I'm thinking that the quick release feature was used to get it to go around something where needed instead of sliding it along from the end.  I can't confirm it but thought possibly it may have been used as a chisel guide for timber framing.  Something along this line

Hmm, now that is a very compelling argument Dan! This research just took off in a new direction, great job sir! Time to google antique timber framing vises and clamping.

how about an edge guide for a tool...

Well don't take this for the gospel, but a person I knew a good while back, was friends with a guy whose wife worked for an old timer whose great-great-grandfather used one of these and he called it that wooden thing-um-a-bob, what-cha-ma-callet, over there. Other than that insight, I don't have a clue.

Just now, Grandpadave52 said:

Well don't take this for the gospel, but a person I knew a good while back, was friends with a guy whose wife worked for an old timer whose great-great-grandfather used one of these and he called it that wooden thing-um-a-bob, what-cha-ma-callet, over there. Other than that insight, I don't have a clue.

:lol:

On 9/1/2016 at 11:57 PM, steven newman said:

Poor man's Moxxon vise?

I will go with Steve on this, definetly a Moxon Vise.

I'm gonna keep pushing for book binder's press (lying press)...

http://www.edenworkshops.com/Lying_Press_And_Plough.html

...and modern version...  http://affordablebindingequipment.com/bookbinding-lying-press/

...images...  https://www.google.com/search?q=bookbinding+lying+press&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBx4urnbrPAhUGKh4KHcvoBOgQ_AUICCgB&biw=1440&bih=741

There are many more site references that show "almost" the same image...still sold today with metal rods instead of wood screws (so one site says)

I'm going with bookbinding press...