Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

MWTCA September 2016 "What's It" Contest

Rate this topic

Ok ladies and gentlemen, we now have our September what's it live and ready!

So far we are 0 for 3! We just can't figure out what these wonderful examples of tools are!

The image(s) below is the current MWTCA "What's It" image for you to research, and tell us all here in this topic post, just what the heck is it!

Remember, the first accurate answer wins a one year membership to the awesome organization MWTCA!

For a run down on this project and the rules, please see this page at "The Patriot Woodworker and MWTCA "What's It" project"

160-20b.jpg

160-20a.jpg

160-20.jpg

So without further Adieu, "What's It!" Submit your answers (and fun commentary) in the reply box. And win a one year membership for MWTCA for your correct answer!

Keep in mind, the MWTCA does not know what this item is either, the image was submitted by one of its members for us to research. Lets help MWTCA find an answer.

Looks like a bench vice of some sort

Just now, Chips N Dust said:

Looks like a bench vice of some sort

Go get em Chips! What kind, why the various screws, come on man, we need a winner! Research research!

Looks like a clamp to glue up laminates. Like the glue ups when making band saw boxes.

Might be more of a vise to hold a log while you saw veneer  slices.   They split apart like a quick release vise, you slide it open the match the log or whatever large chunk you are goig to saw,  Tighten all down and saw some veneer. One side would be held on a bench with holdfasts.  

I seem to recall an old Roubo picture showing two fellows sawing veneer from a log....might see IF you can find that...

Edited by steven newman (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, steven newman said:

....might see IF you can find that...

Hey Steve, you find it!!!!!!! I'm trying to give away MWTCA Memberships to you guys, not myself!:lol:

4 minutes ago, steven newman said:

Detail of the vise clear on the right side....

Steve, you may be on to something. Did someone else here call it a veneer vise as well? Yep, looks like Mick Marsh was on to it as well. Hmmm, could we finally have a winner(s)?

I got a question, why the "break away" vise faces?

9 hours ago, steven newman said:

Quick release?  Those square blocks might have been for a holdfast on each to lock the vise on the bench...ala Moxxon vise....

Not the square blocks, but the faces themselves, if you notice, they break in half, and appear they are removable from the screws.

Now why the quick release? What benefit does it have?

I am thinking, that if you have the vise mounted to the bench, and you want to slice a log as you show in the Roubo drawing above, if there was not the quick release feature, you'd have to do one of two things to get that log into the vise.

1. Lift the entire log into the air, and insert it between the faces (I doubt they did that)
  2. Remove the vise and slip the vise over the log, then secure the vise to the bench (possible)

But, I don't think they did either, I believe the quick release was so, while the vise is secured to the bench, you could remove the face of the vise, then walk the log into the vise, and replace the face to sandwich the log between the two faces. Make sense?

The clamp not only holds 2 pieces of wood (or more) flat at the same height but also compresses them from a 90 degree  direction from that.

my guess would be it's a clamp used for gluing stiles to rails in doors.

Didn't see it closed that part all the way. Then I'd have to say the worlds first adjustable quick release clamp.

It could be a veneer press or a plant press of some sort