The K.I.S.S. Jig

That to thr GrandBRATS being here and wanting to go places.....work on the Cherry Box has ground to a halt...almost.   Needed to give the brain a rest for a day or two, anyway....

Jig?    Well, I needed a way to plough a groove into the frame's skinny and thin parts.    Hard to hold onto them AND the Stanley #45......router table?    Nah, I'd have to dig it out, set it up and listen to it scream....not.

Laid down a scrap of pine.   Two screws, countersunk to fix it in place on the bench.  Some small brads to add a couple little piece to make a square corner.   Used one of the frame's parts to make sure I had clearence along the outside edge...

jig.JPG

Something like this.  The screw sticking up "in the way"?    Well, it helps hold things in place...

in use.JPG

I think I can run a plane along the edge to dress it up a bit.  All set up for the short ends.    Then I can move the screw a bit, and set up for the longer sides.    Should be able to run the 45 along the edge a few times. 

Not talking a lot of plane effort needed to plough these grooves,    Maybe 3-4 swipes per piece.    I have to double check to make sure I am grooving the TOP of each piece.    When I get back to the shop, we'll see how this goes.    Jig is a one time use thing.   I will need to build a different one when I am working on the lid's panel.     Might take as long to plough four grooves as it did to make the jig. 

Not that I'm cheap, or anything.....I intend to re-use the jig's parts for the panel work...