That $1 Cherry is now getting...

"Fingered"

As for the shop...

sign.JPG

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"    So, I crosscut a few chunks of cherry this morning.  The longer sides were stacked together and jointed

jointed.JPG

When a board is this short, you don't need a #7 jointer plane....then the got trimmed on the end..grain..

end grain.JPG

Stanley #60-1/2 Cordovan, no less.  Ok, I also had the end pieces trimmed up this same way, stacked the mess togther, for now

stacked up.JPG

And that should do it for the planes, for now.   Laid out the fingers, with a high tech gauge

finger gauge.JPG

This is also the chisel I will be chopping with.   Start at one end, and walk to the over end.    Here, I am laying out both pieces at one end,  I'll saw and chop this end, then repeat for the other ends. Saw?

backsaw #4.JPG

Just a backsaw....helps to wax the blade every now and then, too.    Got all the ends of these sides sawn..

saw work done.JPG

I took the time now, to mark not only the "Top" but marked out the ends as #1 through #4 on the insides.    Time to get to chopping..

chop1.JPG

I chop about halfway through..

chop 2.JPG

Flip the board over and complete the fingers.  Repeat until I have both sides done (take note of that time stamp)

sides done.JPG

And a look at the toys in use.   I set one side aside for now, need to mark and chop the end piece, and get a test fit..

test fit.JPG

Needs some fine tuning.   Lunch break going on right now.   Later I wander back down and chop the other end....

both ends.JPG

But, I think this will do for one morning's work?   Need to haul the Stanley #45 down to the shop later.    Need to glue up a panel or two, cherry panel for the top...pine for a bottom.   Lid details are still being worked out...

Stay tuned, this might get complicated......

Awe shucks, "fingered", so you went with my suggestion? I know Steve, others suggested it too, but I feel special if just for a second.:lol:

I love your motivation Steve, you have a small space, you have mostly hand tools, you wing it, you don't look for plans, you do what you know, it's rustic much of the time, or a better description is hand made, and you keep on it till it's finished. You are a woodworker my friend!

Warning:  those little squares I pop out when chopping the waste?   They tend to fly right back at me.....had a few bounce off my glasses.

Trying to get the "Motivator" working.....so I can return to the shop.   Need to haul a couple Mountain Dews, and the Stanley #45 down those stairs.  And anything else I might have forgot....senior moments?

Might be a bit early to haul the brand new glue bottle along?

Not too bad for just over 2 years old?

Ok, before all the Tornado warnings and such......now have a creek running through the shop.

Got a little more done..

corner #3.JPG

Corner #3 .    Got #4 done soon after, and clamped the entire mess together, for now..

clamped up.JPG

Just a dry fit, for now.   Laid out for a glue up, and got it into the clamps...

glued up panel.JPG

Mainly concerned about the left end being good.  The right end has a split.  Will let this sit over night.   Time to set up a fancy tool..

tool box.JPG

Yeah, yeah, wrong label, this plane came from Roxton Pond Que. Canada.    Laid out the parts, and retracted the spurs

cutter installed.JPG

1/4" cutter on-board.  Added a sliding section..

sliding section.JPG

Which also needed it's spur retracted.  Next a fence..

fenced.JPG

Set so a 1/4" wide groove is 1/4" from the edge of a board.  Gave the plane a test drive in some poplar scrap..

test drive.JPG

Took a few tries, the fence on these has to be TIGHT!   Or it will slide around.   Next, I needed a "jig" to hold those thin boards in place, while I run the 45 along..

clamping jig.JPG

Three bits of scrap, and a few screws.   Tested it with a cut-off from the sides..

test fit.JPG

I can set a board in under the top piece, and add a wedge to the other end.  Black & white scrap was a bit long, backsaw trimmed it flush with the side of the bench. 

That will do for today.    Have a creek running across the floor of the shop right now.   Tornado warnings have stopped.   I guess this will wait until tomorrow.   Suppertime, anyway...

Depends on what year the 45 was made.   Mine has the through bolt, and has that  SW inside a heart.....with Made in Can.  

Made a bit of use of the 45 today..

cutting a groove.JPG

Had to keep an eye on where the skate starts.    Rubbbed things down with a candle to make it slide a bit better...

too wide.JPG

IF you don't keep the fence tight to the work, plane will wander off to the side.   About like pushing a Stanley #78.   Light cuts seem to do fine....

cut finished.JPG

That looks a bit better.   Got all four sides grooved today.. and stacked the pieces together..

stacked together.JPG

Which means I need a pine floor for the box..

jointed Pine.JPG

Millers Falls No.14 to joint the glue joint's edges.....then some glue and clamps..

glue up.JPG

Will need some clean up, tomorrow, when it comes out of the clamps.   Trimmed and planed flat, cut to size, and a rebate cut all around.   Now, about a lid for this box?

lid parts.JPG

Couple of crosscuts produce this mess.  Needed thing s get skinny, so some resaw work

jointed edge.JPG

Before I went too far, I wanted one good straight edge on each piece.  I marked from the straight edge in about 1-1/2", much easier to resaw smaller parts.

marking a line.JPG

Then I could saw off the waste.   Turn the piece up on the jointed edge, and resaw these things to almost 1/2"   Still had a wave to them...

resawn parts..JPG

Soo, how to get rid of the nasty stuff?  And get it all the same thickness....I don't have a power planer, so

cambered jack.JPG

I do have a cambered Jack plane.  Stanley #5c.   Set each part so just a 1/2" is below the jaws, and scrub away until almost flat, then work on the flat part...

stanley no.4.JPG

Stanley #4, Type 13 seemed to do alright.   On one of the parts, tried a different scrub plane...

windsor 33 scrub plane.JPG

Hungry little beasty.  Windsor #33 converted to a scrub plane.  No messing around.  Finally got all four the same thickness, and took a nice long break, made a mess, too...

chips shavings.JPG

Maybe these will soak up that wet floor?   Hmm, smells like a fresh baked Cherry pie...And, yes, that is the way my leg vise works.    Maybe tomorrow, I can get something done?

Being Monday and all this nice weather outside..I played hookie from the shop today...one of the joys of being Retired?

This will only be the third box I have have done with finger joints.     Before that, I seemed to be on a dovetail kick...

end view.JPG

For either a Stanley No. 888 clone of a tool box, and a tool tote...

bow.JPG

Maybe a side view?

side view.JPG

A little fancier than Underhill carries around....I don't like corners that are nailed together....This one does have a few nails, though.  

Dovetails might be a bit much for the simpler boxes, so finger joints were tried out.   Handcut dovetails..or handcut finger joints.....been awhile since I even needed the electric router.