Jump to content
John Morris

MWTCA August 2016 "What's It" Contest

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

On 8/25/2016 at 1:31 PM, HandyDan said:

The Wm Schollhorn co made many vintage parallel jaw pliers, which these are, and specialty pliers.  They were also sold under the names Sargent and Bernard tools.  The handle design of this tool was used quite a bit by them.  I think it was used for pushing/plugging something together.  I spent a lot of time looking but just cannot find another image of them.  Here is a link to some info.

http://www.sargenttools.com/About/Our-History/

Dan, I see the similarity in the handles and the rivets, kind of sort of. You researched and that is awesome! Looks like you spent some time on it too, but I don't really see anything more beyond the handle style. Unless you are seeing some markings I am not. Do you think our tool in question is an old Sargent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John Morris said:

Dan, I see the similarity in the handles and the rivets, kind of sort of. You researched and that is awesome! Looks like you spent some time on it too, but I don't really see anything more beyond the handle style. Unless you are seeing some markings I am not. Do you think our tool in question is an old Sargent?

John, I am saying the pliers shown were probably made by the Schollhorn Co.  They were big in making parallel jaw pliers.  The pliers in question are parallel jaw pliers for a special use and Schollhorn made special use pliers too. Here is an images link to some examples of what all they made.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=643&q=schollhorn+pliers&oq=schollhorn&gs_l=img.1.0.0i30k1j0i24k1l5.1468.6734.0.12406.10.9.0.1.1.0.251.1125.4j4j1.9.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.10.1125...0j0i5i30k1j0i10i24k1.2wIudYLrbtk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HandyDan said:

John, I am saying the pliers shown were probably made by the Schollhorn Co.  They were big in making parallel jaw pliers.  The pliers in question are parallel jaw pliers for a special use and Schollhorn made special use pliers too. Here is an images link to some examples of what all they made.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=643&q=schollhorn+pliers&oq=schollhorn&gs_l=img.1.0.0i30k1j0i24k1l5.1468.6734.0.12406.10.9.0.1.1.0.251.1125.4j4j1.9.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.10.1125...0j0i5i30k1j0i10i24k1.2wIudYLrbtk

 

 

Whoa! Now that is compelling!!!!! I think you may be on too something here Dan! Looking at those images, it's almost identical, but for the main working portion, could it be perhaps a home made custom job someone did to a set of the Schollhorn pliers? Great job sir!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Morris said:

Whoa! Now that is compelling!!!!! I think you may be on too something here Dan! Looking at those images, it's almost identical, but for the main working portion, could it be perhaps a home made custom job someone did to a set of the Schollhorn pliers? Great job sir!

 

 

They look made too well made for a homemade job.  Another clue is the fact that they are bronze.  Being bronze makes them spark resistant in use so I tried searching natural gas lighting, bullet loading or reloading, phone company switch board cables but cannot find anything on them.  I have a feeling they are so obscure that only someone who had a job using them would know what they are.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the way they are built it is made to come together, compressing something.

i've been looking at spring actuated cylinders and it looks like it fits over a cylinder rod of some type to either compress it to put it together or to take pressure off to disassemble it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a tool close to that which I used to push ends of air hoses into the hose. Parker Hannifin has some great push lock hose whichIMG_7945.JPGI use to sell the garages and body shops in the 60's and 70's.  These kind of tools were invaluable to each trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


About us

We are a woodworking community with an emphasis on sharing and learning the skilled craft of woodworking and all of its related disciplines. Our community is open to everyone who wishes to join us. We support our veterans and active duty both here in the United States and in Canada, being a veteran is not a prerequisite to join. So please, join us! Please click on Join The Patriot Woodworker's.

 

We support MWTCA, preserving tools and implements from the past.

M-WTCA Logo.gif

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

Visit us on Facebook

×