Oh no, he's at it again..

Yet another "Simple Little Box" project.   Went out and spent $6.99 on two pine boards.   3/8"x 5-1/2"x 24" and 3/8" x 5-1/2" x 36"......A bit of measuring for the lengths needed, mark a line..

marking line.JPG

Stick it in the vise, grab a handsaw..

Craftsman saw.JPG

It was sold ( and etched) as a Craftsman saw.   Get four pieces cut to length..

box parts.JPG

Hmmm, might be a tad too tall?   Laid out some lines, and some tools..

layout lines.JPG

Lines were spaced using a chisel that will also be chopping out the waste, the toys used?

layout tools.JPG

Spaced according to that chisel....kept thinking about the height issues, while taking a Mountain Dew break.. decided to mark how much needed to be ripped off..

excess width.JPG

Pencil points out how much to be removed, Bandsaw this time, was a bit quicker.   Planes to dress the edges straight.  Clamped the first one in the vise, backsaw to saw on the lines. then a bit of chisel work

fingers.JPG

Then used these two to layout, saw, and chop fingers on the ends pieces, and a test fit..

test fit.JPG

Then just kept going, until all four MARKED corners were done.   Had to mark which was the top ( T) and which corner matched ( #1 to #1) and got yet another test fit

four corners.JPG

Hmm, well, clamps and glue should help...... took the time to see how the two planes will fit in their new home...

fitted planes.JPG

Snug as a bug in a rug?   Well, it is a start, anyway.   Just  like the last simple box, have a lot more to do....stay tuned to this Batty Channel

Well, I am paying for that energy burst today.....Uncle Charles ( Horse) has hit the legs hard, right in the toes, and the calves.....makes walking a bit rough...

Since I have a wooden Shoulder plane, I thought about adding a fitted compartment to the lid?    Have a decent enough 3/4" thick Pine panel.....maybe cut out a recess to hold the old plane? Add a keeper, or two?   Still in the plan stages.....plan?  Plan?   What is a PLAN? 

Well, floor is dry enough to try to get a bit more done....

Fought for a long time, just to get ONE glue up done......kept flying apart.    Finally used the end vise as a "clamp" to stop such hijinks..

bottom glued up.JPG

Used the stanley #78 and the wooden shoulder plane to make a "home" for this panel..

shavings.JPG

Made a mess on the floor with them..

rebate planes.JPG

Got a couple sore knuckles, from hitting that clamp.   About the only way to plane these rebates.    The panel being glued up, will fit (I  hope) in these rebates when the sides are glued up...

bottom panel.JPG

And this is the top panel. It will be nailed in place ( not glued) the lines being where I need to remove a bit of wood..

plane.JPG

Intend to sink this plane down even with the wedge and iron,  then add keepers to keep it in place, 

Letting things sit for a while,,,,was throwing clamps across the shop....yep....Monday it tis..