Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners February 24, 2016

lew

Thanks Lew! Another great turning project by our Turning Forum Host! I always am amazed at how you drill the deep holes in these projects, it looks so precarious, but I know it's safe otherwise you would not be doing it, just chalk my opinion up to ignorance of the process. And thank you for following up on the tool rest padding idea, further proof it just would not work. Also as for the padding, it would be hard to slide the tool back and forth as well wouldn't it?

I think family members of woodworker's sure are lucky to have us, they end up with some of the most beautiful items in their own homes. :)

39 minutes ago, John Hechel said:

I like how that one looks Lew. It makes me think I should be better with taking some pictures to post as well. maybe tonight I'll dig around and see what I have.

That could be a whole nother topic couldn't it John? Photographing our projects. I have always wanted to take better images of my projects, images that are magazine worthy to show off my work for potential customers. There is an art behind it, or at least tech know how. I know you are only talking about images for a topic, but your comment got me to thinking about photography and our projects, hmmm. There are plenty of articles out there about this subject, I have read them on FWW and AW and elsewhere. I just need to do it.

We use a couple different professional photographers for our booth and product pictures that are used on our website and for show applications.

Most pictures that I would show here will come from my cell phone. wherein lies my problem. I'm just too lazy (or busy) to transfer them to my PC so I can re-name them and load them up.

Just now, John Hechel said:

We use a couple different professional photographers for our booth and product pictures that are used on our website and for show applications.

Most pictures that I would show here will come from my cell phone. wherein lies my problem. I'm just too lazy (or busy) to transfer them to my PC so I can re-name them and load them up.

Just load em up from your cell phone John, we are relaxing things a bit around here.

11 hours ago, John Morris said:

Absolutely gorgeous John! Third from the left! Love it! I like the sleek elegance of that one, but they are all very pleasing to my eye. 6th one from the left, what type of wood is that?

6th from the left is just a runner from an old pallet (spalted maple).

lew the segmented one has about 24 pieces in it. its scrap from this vase that was made from scrap.

20151230_203609.thumb.jpg.eead546cf25763

11 hours ago, Cliff said:

Looking great Lew. 

I  have  a question about the glue up:

There is  what might be called a scarf joint in the middle of the work to create the neat effect. How does that hold up over the years?  Have any that are a decade or older around?

I just cut the squared blank at a diagonal, completely thru the blank (sorta like my rolling pins except I completely separated the pieces) then glued in the diagonal strip taking care to align the separated blank pieces. I guess you could technically call it a scarf joint. This was my first attempt (prototype) but if the rolling pins are any indications, it should hold for quite some time. I think Mimi's rolling pin is getting close to 10 years old and hasn't shown any signs of separating.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Gerald said:

That is one great pepper mill and the look on the illusion piece is a real eyecatcher.

Thanks, Gerald. Made a batch of those tumbling block boards for Christmas presents a couple of years ago..

2 hours ago, Stick486 said:

gorgeous work...

Thanks, Stick!