OK as a lot of you may know, I am a huge fan of Titebond and its family of glues. I use it quite a bit when I am making pieces to turn, especially for the tops I make.

This does not require a lot of glue though, so the glue sits around for an extended period of time, which causes it to age and get clumpy, or at the very least, thicker than it was when I bought it.

Can you add anything to the glue like say water, to get it flowing again without destroying the glue properties??

Thanks.

Short answer, trash it, it's no longer valid or good. Once glue gets clumpy it went bad, and long past it's shelf life. I would start purchasing glues in smaller bottles Charles, it's easier to purchase smaller bottles than have them sit on the shelf and go bad. Also, the glue will get smelly, this is especially true with Titebond hide glues, it really smells like a dead animal once it goes bad.

While writing this I found this from the Titebond website, here is a complete quote:

Our literature states the shelf life of a majority of our wood glues as two years. Titebond Liquid Hide Glue includes an expiration date on the bottle, because it can progressively lose its ability to dry hard, and this change is not visually obvious. Titebond Polyurethane Glue has a one-year shelf life in an unopened container, but is useable as long as the glue remains fluid. Polyurethanes, however, are designed to react when exposed to moisture. Sometimes, they begin to cure, and solidify, after the bottle has been opened. Most of our yellow and white glues, including Titebond Original and Titebond II, remain usable beyond two years. Should Titebond Original become thick and stringy, or Titebond II turn into an orange-colored gel, these changes signify that the glue is no longer usable. The minimum shelf life of Titebond III is stated as one two years. When stored appropriately at room temperature, Titebond III is expected to last beyond its stated shelf life. If thickened, shake vigorously by firmly tapping bottle on a hard surface until product is restored to original form. For a complete list of Titebond Adhesive shelf life click (Source:Titebond Website at http://www.titebond.com/frequently_asked_questions.aspx )

Adding water will not work, it will only dilute the bad properties that are already in there and dilute what is left of what was once a usable glue. Trash it and start over. See glue shelf life reference list attached to this reply.

Tight Bond Shelf Life.pdf

Edited by Courtland
spelling

OK thanks much, yep looks like a trip to the store is in order :)

I just took the cap off and looked in there, big mound of glue with the consistency of paste :(

I know that with the old Elmer's wood glue that you could put water in it to dilute it a little and possibly safe its shelf life a bit so i was hoping that was the case here too, seeing as there is about half a bottle here.

One thing you can do to extend the life of the glue is refrigerate it, it slows the reaction that causes it to go bad. You do have to remember to warm it up before using it. I buy glue in gallons, and keep a mustard bottle full in the shop for use while the gallon bottle sits in the frig. But once it starts going bad, you can't save it.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis, Jr

Thanks guys, this actually does not have a smell other than just the glue smell to it. It just doesn't flow easily, so I may get a bit of life out of it while I wait for the new glue to arrive.

I had to order more CA anyway so i went ahead and got a smaller bottle of Titebond 3. I didn't want to go too small though because I am doing more glue-ups now than I was before, so I went with a 16 ounce bottle instead of the quart like I did before. Woodcraft is good about getting items to me promptly so it shouldn't be a long wait at all.

Thanks again guys for the info.

On 1/23/2016 at 7:57 PM, Charles Nicholls said:

so the glue sits around for an extended period of time, which causes it to age and get clumpy, or at the very least, thicker t

Thanks.

Clumpy sounds bad.  Their web site says grainy is the point at which it's no good. When it gets grainy they suggest the costomer re-purpose it as a base for puddings and porridge.

I like to base the Thanksgiving turkey with the stuff.

2 hours ago, Cliff said:

Their web site says grainy is the point at which it's no good When it gets grainy they suggest the costomer re-purpose it as a base for puddings and porridge.

Probably not as tasty as that white "library paste" we used to eat at school. Come to think of it, that might explain a lot... hhmmm.

21 hours ago, lew said:

Probably not as tasty as that white "library paste" we used to eat at school. Come to think of it, that might explain a lot... hhmmm.

23 hours ago, Cliff said:

Clumpy sounds bad.  Their web site says grainy is the point at which it's no good. When it gets grainy they suggest the costomer re-purpose it as a base for puddings and porridge.

1 hour ago, Gene Howe said:

Ummm...White paste with a side of pink eraser.

LOL I needed a laugh, thanks guys, yea I am tossing it to the curb. I have a pint of it coming in the mail anyway so yea I'll get rid of this, I just can't do any more glue ups til it

arrives.

Edited by Charles Nicholls

Try this for keeping your larger bottles of glue from going bad.  There is a product that Woodcraft sells called Bloxygen, here is the link to it Bloxygen.  What this does is allow you to put a heavier than air non reactive gas, in this case argon into the bottle.  This displaces the oxygen that normally sits there and keeps the bottle from going bad.  This product, I use it all the time it works for shellac, tung oil and paint.

DW

3 minutes ago, David Sudekum said:

Try this for keeping your larger bottles of glue from going bad.  There is a product that Woodcraft sells called Bloxygen, here is the link to it Bloxygen.  What this does is allow you to put a heavier than air non reactive gas, in this case argon into the bottle.  This displaces the oxygen that normally sits there and keeps the bottle from going bad.  This product, I use it all the time it works for shellac, tung oil and paint.

DW

Thanks much David! I'll definitely have to get some the next time I do a WoodCraft order :)

OK Final question, If I move some glue from a larger to a smaller container, could I then use the Bloxygen to take out the oxygen from the larger bottle so that the glue doesn't set?

I'm just trying to figure out how I can preserve a larger bottle by moving what I need to a smaller one. The reason for that is price. $8 for a 16oz bottle and $12 for a 32 oz so I would then waste money by buying only a 16 oz bottle

25 minutes ago, Charles Nicholls said:

OK Final question, If I move some glue from a larger to a smaller container, could I then use the Bloxygen to take out the oxygen from the larger bottle so that the glue doesn't set?

I'm just trying to figure out how I can preserve a larger bottle by moving what I need to a smaller one. The reason for that is price. $8 for a 16oz bottle and $12 for a 32 oz so I would then waste money by buying only a 16 oz bottle

I do it all the time. I keep the gallon in the frig, and have 2 bottles of it in the shop for use. As they get low I refill them from the gallon...the glue does have to be warmed up for use. The gallon keeps very well in the frig, and even if I have to throw some out it is still cheaper than buying the smaller bottles. Around here a gallon of TBII costs about what 2 of the quart bottles cost, so if I have less than 1/2 og the gallon go bad I've still saved...though it all truthfulness i haven't tossed out that much, it's usually the last inch or 2 in the bottom of the gallon that I have to throw out. I'm not sure the bloxygen will help as much with glue as it does for finishes, but it would be interesting to see a test using it. BTW, if you have a Menards nearby they have TB on sale once twice year for about $14 gallon....and what they have in stock is usually fresher than some of the other places.

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

3 cups  diced onions

2 cups diced celery

1 quart chicken stock

2 cups  past due clumpy or  grainy  Titebond glue

1 10 oz package of thawed drained chopped spinach

1 cup pureed carrots

2 diced red potatoes

3 Tbs  ground red chili pepper

Salt

Pepper 

I think I've had this at the local "choke and puke"