Rate this topic

This saw was purchased for me at an auction in september 2014 by a friend of mine who thought I might want it. As it was fairly complete except for one small part he did okay.

568ecf9220950_IMG_0810(640x480).jpg.42a6

I worked on it for a while about a year ago but other things took priority so I put it aside. Last week I finally got back at it.

The worst part was cleaning off all that aluminum paint. The saw got a complete strip down and rebuild including new bearings in the drive box. Other than the drive box there is not a lot to these saws so the rehab went pretty quickly.The motor got a complete overhaul as well. While I was at it I made a new stand and replaced all the electrical.

The saw runs pretty sweet but I think I will still keep my 1938 Delta 1200 and move this one on.

568ed124b4f61_IMG_0182(640x480).jpg.4639

Maybe my buddy will buy it, no probably not.

568ed12a08d04_IMG_0183(640x480).jpg.9a7b

568ed12e24b51_IMG_0184(640x480).jpg.ad13

568ed13229d4c_IMG_0185(640x480).jpg.47e2

568ed1364791f_IMG_0186(640x480).jpg.98f1

568ed13a42464_IMG_0187(640x480).jpg.4684

568ed13fb8b2b_IMG_0188(640x480).jpg.7fa4

568ed145427c4_IMG_0189(640x480).jpg.1256

568ed14805beb_IMG_0190(640x480).jpg.915a

Edited by John Morris
added tags for future searches (see edit history)

This is one beautiful piece Gerry, what a wonderful piece of work. The machine looked pretty decent from the get go.

I have a Delta Rockwell 24" Scroll Saw 40-440 up at my dads place that I absolutely love. It is so quiet and vibration free, the thing sounds like a sewing machine! I miss it. I noticed your scroller has the air tube for dust ejection off the table, does it still work as new Gerry? I noticed mine is a bit weak, seem like somewhere it is lacking the compression it needs to pump the air out effectively. I have not quite figured out how to make the air stream stronger.

6 hours ago, Courtland said:

I noticed your scroller has the air tube for dust ejection off the table, does it still work as new Gerry? I noticed mine is a bit weak, seem like somewhere it is lacking the compression it needs to pump the air out effectively. I have not quite figured out how to make the air stream stronger.

The one on the beaver is more of a wind turbine rather the "pump" type found on the Delta and it still works well. I will attempt to find a picture but  I don't remember taking one.

I have the same problem as you have on my Delta 1200 and have not been able to resolve that. As Beaver was eventually purchased by Delta I am somewhat surprised the Beaver design for the air turbine was not incorporated into  the Delta . In my opinion it is a better design.

So that explains the pulsating stream of air instead of a steady stream. The pulsating air comes out with the speed of the saw. Hmmm. Not knowing much about the turbine design how is it generated, is their a turbine mechanism below or inside the base on the Beaver?

Hey Gerry, I went ahead and added tags to your topic, it makes it much easier for folks to find and reference at later date. Thanks for the great post!

The turbine can be seen in the photo below. It is the flat disc at the bottom right with the six slots cut around the outside. To the left of it are the six turbine vanes (square pieces). The mechanism goes into a cavity on the drive box behind the pulley. The cavity is ecentric in shape and as the turbine is spun by the drive shaft the vanes extend out compressing air out a small hole at the bottom of the cavity

IMG_2307-001.jpg.bf04d6eea033233ad716371

If you look at the manual here http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/83/1514.pdf

you will see them on page 4 identified as part numbers 10 and 11. Hope that explains it.