Saturday, Dec 12, What's on Your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

John Moody

I seem to be running behind a lot here lately. Here it is Saturday afternoon and I am just getting my Friday or Saturday post up.

We have been working on an order for Cheese Boards this weekend.

566c847f4d431_cheeseboardblanks.thumb.jp

These are the blanks for the cheese boards. We have got to make 30 and ship them Monday. While I have been cutting things out, Beth has been doing lots of sanding.

566c84e47c756_SandingCheeseBoards.thumb.

I have about half of them oiled and branded and she is working on the rest of them.

566c848db4e68_cheeseboards.thumb.jpg.90d

In the mean time I have cut and glued panels to make a 24" lazy susan made of White Oak.

566c84a6e96f8_lazysusan.thumb.jpg.f6b326

I also had so much cedar in the shop I picked up the cut offs and glued the panels to make a Cedar Chest.

566c849a9923d_cedarchestpanels.thumb.jpg

and as soon as we finish the cutting boards we will start on three Green Egg Tables that will be picked up before Christmas. Wow Christmas is getting here fast. The elves in the shop may be on overtime till Christmas.

So what is going on in your Patriot Woodworker shop? We here at TPW love to see all the projects you are working on so post the project and pictures.

Well, I am back to the shop, but I will check in later...

Now that the Burnt Room is done, and my son is moving his stuff back into it..

been fighting and a-cussing what is left of the walnut.....got enough milled down to at least clamp something up

566cfb3a96b79_panelglueup.thumb.JPG.e167

Resawn some walnut, three board glue up.    might be making a small table/night stand later?   Stanley No.5c with a cmabered iron to flatten the worse of this panel. 

Will have to see what the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up draws up for this ....

Edited by steven newman

John - " I also had so much cedar in the shop I picked up the cut offs and glued the panels to make a Cedar Chest. " - - - - Ah, too bad you have so much when the rest of us are having trouble just getting cedar that is 4" wide.  :P

As for this woodworker - Since cutting down all those trees last year and not being able to do anything with them, the grandson paid us a visit this weekend and said something like "Hey, grandpa, let's split some wood" ! ! ! !  Rented the splitter and started out trying to fill me wood shed.  How did we do?

work1.png.f4d9af3d2332f85163a3c482f69b25

Along the way, saw a couple of pieces that just yelled to have something more done with them.  Planed one and will work on the other.  2 pix below

work3.png.90ed74ba137d43cadccef36dd67390work2.png.9613c2be0badaeac5c33115362f47c

December the 13th and outside temp is 74 degrees ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I actually got a pair of fifty cent handplanes all cleaned and tuned up..

566ee5f5d157f_No.035.thumb.JPG.338ce4f59

Ohio Tool Co. of Auburn NY,  USA   No.035.   needed a chipbreaker and a lever cap.   Waiting on the several coats of finish to stop soaking into the DRY wood parts

Mohawk.thumb.JPG.49a5ef520f5a8aa47087afc

And the other "Cheap plane".    Millers Falls made a secondary line called Mohawk-Shelburne.   This is the #4 sized one.    I traded out the very rough lever cap for a better one,  All else was just a clean up and a tune up.   Had this one working nicely..

566ee76ee9d9a_topcleanup.thumb.JPG.4c48e

It was cleaning up after the scrub-jack plane.    Top needed to be flattened.   End grain needed some work, too

566ee7f689433_cleanedendgrain.thumb.JPG.

That Mohawk worked nicely on end grain.  Wasn't too worried about blowing out the end at the corner, had a plan

566ee87139254_shapedcorners.thumb.JPG.e0

All four corners got the round-about treatment.   I also got some aprons milled..

566ee8d4d362b_apronparts.thumb.JPG.bacae

The square thing got resawn.   all the parts were cleaned up with the #4 Mohawk.   made a bit of a mess, though...

566ee946061b9_messybench.thumb.JPG.5735e

Got all these parts put away, as I have bigger things to do...

566ee9addfd57_legblank.thumb.JPG.f9140bd

SHOULD be able to get four leg blanks out of this slab of White Oak?    There is enough there to make four 20" long legs.   Hmmm, turned, or tapered?   Maybe NEXT weekend to find out..

8 hours ago, John Hechel said:

I'm hoping I can convince the fire department to bring over their exhaust fans as practice. I'll have them suit up in SCBA gear and go in with leaf blowers to get it all airborne. then the exhaust fans should be able to suck it all out of the shop and into the neighbors yard.

That's wrong but yet so very right on so many counts!!  If it works, let me know.  Just remember the prevailing winds are west to east and I live in Indiana.