Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners November 18 2015

lew

I think there is light at the end of the tunnel, but, with the way things have been going, it could be a train coming this way! With all of the visitors, I really haven't done any turning, however, I did get some finish on the butternut bowl pictured here last week.

bumble_bee_butter.thumb.JPG.a1d5ec474fa7

bumble_bee_butter_1.thumb.JPG.bac3d062bc

bumble_bee_butter_2.thumb.JPG.d5595a2b71

I used a mixture of mineral oil and bee's wax melted together and applied hot. Left it cool and buffed the surface with a soft cloth.

This was my first experience with butternut. I was told some folks call it "white walnut". I know the tree leaves are very similar. The wood itself is softer than walnut.

Currently, I am putting the finishing layers of wipe on poly on the spalted maple bowl. Couple more and it will be finished.

We turners seem to always be looking for videos, books and other materials to help us improve our skills.  However, nothing can replace a mentor/teacher answering our questions and demonstrating techniques. But where do you find that mentor? Here's a link to the American Association of Woodturners. The link lands on a page where you can enter your location and find an AAW chapter near you- http://www.woodturner.org/search/custom.asp?id=1509 . Most of the chapters have links to their own web pages  for contact information. Don't struggle alone!

Here's a nice little video - from Craft Supplies- (about 9 minutes) on turning a natural edge bowl .

Notice the reverse chucking method used by the demonstrator.

The next video, from Woodcraft, is also about bowl turning.This demonstrator  goes into a little more detail on building a similar reverse chuck device. He mounts his cylinder on a face plate. I believe you could also use a hardwood cylinder and cut  threads into it that match your headstock. That way  you can keep your faceplate freed up for other uses.

Most of my rolling pins are gone, so I'll be making a run of those. Won't bore you with pictures- I'm sure you've seen enough of Celtic Knots.

Safe turning!