Router Died. Time for a new one

Last night I had just started to run a large batch of cutting boards over the Router Table to round over all the edges. As I got a few done the router speed started fluctuating and then the shop lights flickered and then the router stopped. I checked inside the router table cabinet and did the typical checks on the power, saw dust build up and such and found that the power and outlet were fine as I could plug in something else and it would work. So it was definitely a router issue. I had this happen once before a few years back and it was caused by dust build up. So I got the router out of the table and pulled off the covers for the switch and motor and blew things out. So looking at the motor and the schematic in the manual, I found that the motor was indeed fried. 

The router is a Freud 3.25HP beast which I bought back in 2007 from Rockler as they had them on sale and I had a coupon and I got a killer deal on it. It has been a real workhorse all these years and I have ran hundreds of cutting boards as well as many children's rocking chairs and the plethora of other projects that needed rabbits, dados, edge details, pattern making and other fun stuff and it just plowed through it all without even breathing hard. Fortunately for me I have a back up router set up in the extension of my table saw that is set up for my trusty Porter-Cable 690 so I was able to get the cutting boards all routed. But now I have to look into getting a new one for the router table. I would like to get another 3.25HP router, but may just step down to a 2-2.5HP model. I will also have to get a new router plate for it as well to fit my table.

2015-10-22_16.22.07.thumb.jpg.02df7d6378     

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

• 9 months later...
14 minutes ago, Marv Rall said:

I am biased but here goes---- my choice is the 5218 porter cable 3 1/2 hp unit. I have run one for years in my router table and really enjoy its power an versatility----did I mention I really lie this unit?

Marv you and I both, for the life of me I cannot figure why anyone would use any other router in their table besides that beast known as the PC 5218. It is venerable, with a great reputation, an nothing slows it down. It's heavy duty, made beautifully, a true workhorse, and in my own little mind, it's the only one that is right for a table mounted router.

Now that being said, opinions are like what? Everyone has one? But, I am biased towards this work horse. Great reminder Marv of what a great router is, thanks for bringing this subject back up to the top!

On 10/23/2015 at 8:44 AM, Allen Worsham said:

Last night I had just started to run a large batch of cutting boards over the Router Table to round over all the edges. As I got a few done the router speed started fluctuating and then the shop lights flickered and then the router stopped. I checked inside the router table cabinet and did the typical checks on the power, saw dust build up and such and found that the power and outlet were fine as I could plug in something else and it would work. So it was definitely a router issue. I had this happen once before a few years back and it was caused by dust build up. So I got the router out of the table and pulled off the covers for the switch and motor and blew things out. So looking at the motor and the schematic in the manual, I found that the motor was indeed fried. 

The router is a Freud 3.25HP beast which I bought back in 2007 from Rockler as they had them on sale and I had a coupon and I got a killer deal on it. It has been a real workhorse all these years and I have ran hundreds of cutting boards as well as many children's rocking chairs and the plethora of other projects that needed rabbits, dados, edge details, pattern making and other fun stuff and it just plowed through it all without even breathing hard. Fortunately for me I have a back up router set up in the extension of my table saw that is set up for my trusty Porter-Cable 690 so I was able to get the cutting boards all routed. But now I have to look into getting a new one for the router table. I would like to get another 3.25HP router, but may just step down to a 2-2.5HP model. I will also have to get a new router plate for it as well to fit my table.

Allen..

have you looked to the brushes and/or brush holders being the cause of issue???

have you considered the Bosch 1619???

This post was from October 2015.

At that time I pulled it apart and the wires were all fried so it was done. I had the Freud for a number of years and it was a workhorse. I ended up getting a Triton TRA001 3.25hp router which worked great in my router table. But a couple of months back the Triton would not go up or down so I contacted their customer service and they sent me a pre-paid UPS lable to send it back to them for repair. It came back and worked good as new for a month and then stopped going up or down. So they sent me another pre-paid UPS lable to send it back and they sent me a brand new router. So that one works perfectly for now. I really like the Triton for table use. It is the easiest table router I have used and it powers through everything I throw at it. I am still concerned with the strength of the lift mechanism, so we will see how it goes down the line. I did consider the Bosch as it is a great router, but I really wanted a 3hp+ router for some of the stuff I do.

54 minutes ago, Allen Worsham said:

This post was from October 2015.

At that time I pulled it apart and the wires were all fried so it was done. I had the Freud for a number of years and it was a workhorse. I ended up getting a Triton TRA001 3.25hp router which worked great in my router table. But a couple of months back the Triton would not go up or down so I contacted their customer service and they sent me a pre-paid UPS lable to send it back to them for repair. It came back and worked good as new for a month and then stopped going up or down. So they sent me another pre-paid UPS lable to send it back and they sent me a brand new router. So that one works perfectly for now. I really like the Triton for table use. It is the easiest table router I have used and it powers through everything I throw at it. I am still concerned with the strength of the lift mechanism, so we will see how it goes down the line. I did consider the Bosch as it is a great router, but I really wanted a 3hp+ router for some of the stuff I do.

Sounds like wonderful customer service Allen, very nice.