And I Garden Too

Boomer

I attempt to plant living things from time to time and here in Las Vegas at least, those living things don't do so well, except maybe weeds and cactus.

So I decided to elevate things this year. (Easier on the back).

I like to grow tomatoes, however our summer temps often mean the plants stop making fruit, or they dry up and die.

So I experimented with an indeterminate type of tomato named Hawaiian Tropic and built a planter which would help keep the soil cool.

I made it out of redwood 2x4's and 2x6's. I resawed the 2x6's to make planks for the sides.

The sides have a 1/2" gap between planks and the soil is held back by landscape cloth.

I did this to allow for evaporation with the idea that it will keep the soil cooler during the summer.

This picture was taken in early April, I added some cherry tomatoes to the planter as well.

I did not cage the tomatoes, rather I'm letting them lay down.

Doing that, they shade each other and stay close the the cooler soil.

Even with our 118 degree days they still produce.

RTFXrTA.jpg?1

Hey Boomer first off that is a really nice planter, I am going to show this to my wife, we are growing tomatoes right now and we have always done traditional method, with trivial results, or spotty at best. Some seasons are good, some are not. I'd like her to see this planter style and the theory behind it.

Nice work and good thinking on the logistics of how it all should work.

I noticed you live not far from March AFB, former home of the 22nd.

So far things have worked out. Tomatoes are still producing, though they did suffer a little during our scorcher month of June.

True, the fruit is a bit smaller, but it's still great in salads.

The cherries are fantastic, I planted a black cherry variety that tastes great.

I'm going to build another one for next year and get rid of my self watering earth boxes.

I noticed you live not far from March AFB, former home of the 22nd.

So far things have worked out. Tomatoes are still producing, though they did suffer a little during our scorcher month of June.

True, the fruit is a bit smaller, but it's still great in salads.

The cherries are fantastic, I planted a black cherry variety that tastes great.

I'm going to build another one for next year and get rid of my self watering earth boxes.

Yep, March is just down the highway from us. About 20 minutes. You know I have lived here for about 15 years and never been to the March Air Museum either. I drive by it all the time between jobs!

Wow, that looks great. I sometimes wish I could do flat work like this. Too small of an area to work in.

a 5 GALLON BUCKET WILL SOLVE THAT CHARLES!! a BUCKET, A FEW HOLES IN BOTTOM, A FEW ROCKS IN BOTTOM, DIRT AND A PLANT.  

3 STICKS PUT IN ALONG EDGES AND AND TIED AT TOP AND YOUR DONE!!

i SUGGEST THE CHERRY TOMATOES.

In the North east I go out of my way to make the  tomato plants warmer.

What do you do for calcium to stop blossom end rot? 

I make a slurry of limestone powder and pour it on the container plants

wHY ARE YOU PUTTING LIMESTONE IN THEM?

tOMATOES ARE ACID LOVING PLANTS AND LIMESTONE IS ALKALINE. NOT GOOD!!

i SUGGEST GOOD DRAINAGE, REGULAR WATERING EARLY MORNING AND LATE AT NIGHT ( LATE EVENING IS VERY IMPORTANT).

AND A GOOD LAYER OF WOOD CHIPS, SHAVINGS OR MULCH WILL HELP KEEP PLANTS FROM DRYING OUT. THAT'LL HELP WITH THE BLOSSOM END ROT.

iF YOU NEED MORE CALCIUM, BONE MEAL MIXED IN SOIL WORKS GREAT.

• 1 year later...

A tip for those of you just starting with tomatoes... try the "heritage" varieties. The taste is out of this world! Modern cultivars have been developed for commercial growers, which is where the money is. Flavor has been pushed to the bottom of the list of attributes, since the growers want large fruit, disease resistance, maximum output, tough skin to prevent shipping damage and, in northern areas, frost resistance. GMO has given us tomatoes with pig DNA (tougher skins) and Arctic Char DNA (cold resistance). The older, unadulterated varieties may not produce as much, but give them a try. Your tastebuds will thank you! My personal favourite? Black Crim, a dark red/purple/brown variety.

John

3 hours ago, HARO50 said:

A tip for those of you just starting with tomatoes... try the "heritage" varieties. The taste is out of this world! Modern cultivars have been developed for commercial growers, which is where the money is. Flavor has been pushed to the bottom of the list of attributes, since the growers want large fruit, disease resistance, maximum output, tough skin to prevent shipping damage and, in northern areas, frost resistance. GMO has given us tomatoes with pig DNA (tougher skins) and Arctic Char DNA (cold resistance). The older, unadulterated varieties may not produce as much, but give them a try. Your tastebuds will thank you! My personal favourite? Black Crim, a dark red/purple/brown variety.

John

Thanks, I'll have to remember this for next year.