Friday, June 19th, What's on Your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

We have been quite busy in the shop this past week trying to get this custom Green Egg Table out the door. It has been close to 6;00pm when I have been getting home and them grab a bite of supper and head to the shop. After about 3 hours I am ready to call it a night. Building the table was not so bad, but this one has a solid top so it took three glue ups for the top. Then three drawers and two doors.

The table is 6 feet long, 30" deep and 34" tall.

post-3498-0-71087200-1434718866.jpg

So I got the drawers made and install on full extension pull out slides.

post-3498-0-67719300-1434718924.jpg

post-3498-0-34458700-1434718942.jpg

Then I got the frames cut out and the panels glued up for the doors.

post-3498-0-60007300-1434718973.jpg

post-3498-0-13478500-1434718990.jpg

And last night the doors got assembled and glued up.

post-3498-0-05575900-1434737666.jpg

post-3498-0-50020400-1434737682.jpg

It will all get sanded today and a varnish finish applied this weekend and then delivered.

Then it is on to other projects in the shop that have steadily been getting behind. But I am loving all the work and getting to it as fast as we can and keep a nice quality product going out the door.

So what are you working on this weekend in your Patriot Woodworker Shop? We have shared ours with you and we here at TPW love to see what other woodworkers are doing in their shop. Tell us about your project and give us a few pictures to drool over.

This is Fathers Day Weekend so I hope you get to do what dear ole dad wants to do and maybe just maybe a few new tools might show up. Have a great time around the BBQ and enjoy time with family!

Though I won't be in the shop this weekend, I did get a call from a gentleman that wants me to build a set of oak stock racks for his truck.  On Father's Day we'll be leaving to head out to Washington D.C. with our three granddaughters.  We plan on visiting Mt. Vernon and then Washington.  Thanks to our congresswoman (who is a friend I might add) we will be visiting the White House, taking a staff tour of Congress and a tour of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.  On the way home we'll be spending a couple of days in Gettysburg so hopefully I can touch base with Lew Kauffman.  A whirlwind trip needless to say.  I really think they'll just taking me along as a tour guide.  This is my 5th trip to D.C.

Though I won't be in the shop this weekend, I did get a call from a gentleman that wants me to build a set of oak stock racks for his truck.  On Father's Day we'll be leaving to head out to Washington D.C. with our three granddaughters.  We plan on visiting Mt. Vernon and then Washington.  Thanks to our congresswoman (who is a friend I might add) we will be visiting the White House, taking a staff tour of Congress and a tour of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.  On the way home we'll be spending a couple of days in Gettysburg so hopefully I can touch base with Lew Kauffman.  A whirlwind trip needless to say.  I really think they'll just taking me along as a tour guide.  This is my 5th trip to D.C.

Hope you'll find time to visit Arlington National Cemetery.  It's a Pilgrimmage that is awe inspiring and so very poignant.

My wife and I will be hitting the road in July for about a month traveling around a good part of the country.We will be heading north to Montana and over to South Dakota before working our way over to Indiana and down to Alabama, Arkansas, Missouri and then back to California. We have a number of friends and family to visit with as well as doing some "Freestyle" roaming just seeing some new places as well as checking out some areas for future retirement as we are hoping to bail out of California in 2020. Along the way I am sure that we will pick up a few things so I have been working on getting the truck maintenance all squared away as well as getting the bed organized for our traveling gear and "Pickings" along the way. The hardest thing for Tami and I when we go back to visit our friends and family midwest and south is that we have no room to take stuff home with us if it won't fit into our suitcase on the plane.

I decided to do a shelf in the bed of the truck so that we can organize better all the stuff we leave California with as well as what we pick up along the way. We have to take some stuff for our kids as well as some camping stuff incase we need to hit a campground if the hotels don't work out. Since we have a short bed truck with a drop in bed liner and a lockable hard top bed cover that is water tight, I had to make it so that I could get the shelf in and out without having to remove the cover. While it sounded pretty straight forward with a couple of 2x6's and sheet of 1/2" OSB, I had to do a fair bit of head scratching to get it to work out ok. So after some trial and error I came across a set up that will work out for us. So while this is not a fancy project, it is very practical and will keep our stuff organized. I might even be able to pick up a few pieces of good hardwood along the way to take back to California.  :P

post-3470-0-52630300-1434724568.jpg

post-3470-0-69690000-1434724522.jpg

My wife and I will be hitting the road in July for about a month traveling around a good part of the country.We will be heading north to Montana and over to South Dakota before working our way over to Indiana and down to Alabama, Arkansas, Missouri and then back to California. We have a number of friends and family to visit with as well as doing some "Freestyle" roaming just seeing some new places as well as checking out some areas for future retirement as we are hoping to bail out of California in 2020. Along the way I am sure that we will pick up a few things so I have been working on getting the truck maintenance all squared away as well as getting the bed organized for our traveling gear and "Pickings" along the way. The hardest thing for Tami and I when we go back to visit our friends and family midwest and south is that we have no room to take stuff home with us if it won't fit into our suitcase on the plane.

I decided to do a shelf in the bed of the truck so that we can organize better all the stuff we leave California with as well as what we pick up along the way. We have to take some stuff for our kids as well as some camping stuff incase we need to hit a campground if the hotels don't work out. Since we have a short bed truck with a drop in bed liner and a lockable hard top bed cover that is water tight, I had to make it so that I could get the shelf in and out without having to remove the cover. While it sounded pretty straight forward with a couple of 2x6's and sheet of 1/2" OSB, I had to do a fair bit of head scratching to get it to work out ok. So after some trial and error I came across a set up that will work out for us. So while this is not a fancy project, it is very practical and will keep our stuff organized. I might even be able to pick up a few pieces of good hardwood along the way to take back to California.  :P

attachicon.gif2015-06-19 07.11.55.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-06-19 07.12.38.jpg

The Woodshed has been locked down tight!!!

John,

That was harsh!I was talking about hardwood that I might along the road or something. I hear that in Alabama where there are donkeys and small tractors that keep getting stuck in the mud that there are hidden stashes of wood nearby for the taking for people that are passing by left there by generous and kind southern gentlemen. ;-)

John,

That was harsh!I was talking about hardwood that I might along the road or something. I hear that in Alabama where there are donkeys and small tractors that keep getting stuck in the mud that there are hidden stashes of wood nearby for the taking for people that are passing by left there by generous and kind southern gentlemen. ;-)

If you find it along the road that will be okay! 

Otherwise you would be back on the donkey!

• 2 weeks later...

Man that turned beautiful Jari! Hey, what are the main species of wood downunder?

Greetings 

I like to use Camphor Laurel, it is easy to turn and it got some wonderful colours and figures. 

2nd wood on my list is Jacaranda tree. Very safe to turn and nice figures.

3rd wood would be hairy oak or she-oak as it can be called. Stunning colour but hard to turn as it often got hairline cracks on it and if you don't keep extra good eye on your piece, it can take off and do some serious damage to you or your shed. I got 1 face shield damaged as piece took off but it saved my face and head. 

4th is wood from south, Tasmanian Huon pine. It is protected tree and there was period of time we were not able to get any off it, now they are re-growing it so it is back on the market. Still very hard to get with my money. 

5th Sassafras is wood I like use to turn candle holders, got to be very careful with this wood, it got fungus which generates the colour. 1st time I didn't use proper facemask and some dust got into my mouth. Got nasty throat/ear infection, week in hospital in IV drops. Still love the wood. Safe wood when fully finished.

These are trees I like to use.

Jari