The Easy Wood Tool package arrived and over the next couple of weeks, I will share with you my impressions and experiences with these amazing tools.

The very first thing I noticed was the weight of the case in which the tools were shipped. Even before opening, it was apparent these were no lightweights!

I’ll concentrate on the Easy Chuck this week. This is my first experience with a quick release jaw chuck. I must admit, I thought that quick release jaws would be something of a luxury and not really necessary. I changed my mind in a hurry!

The overall fit and finish of the chuck is impressive. This monster weighed in just north of 4.5 pounds and that’s without jaws! The quality is evident from the get-go.

I really like the “zoom†ring and its ability to quickly reposition the jaws without the needing to use the chuck key. The ring turns smoothly with practically no effort. Jaw changes are made via a spring loaded quick release mechanism. Simply inserting the release tool into the chuck release port allows the jaws to be detached. Replacing the jaws requires no tools, they simply snap into place. I found the jaws locked securely with no slippage. Once a work piece is positioned and the jaws snugged down with the zoom ring, a hex key tool is used to securely tighten the jaws. There are two hex key tightening locations 180 degrees apart to create balanced pressure. A really nice touch is that all of the adjustment directions are engraved into the chuck. Easy Wood Tools has a wide variety of chuck jaws available and included most of them in the loaner package.

If I could make any design changes, they would be engraving a reference mark on the chuck body and engraving numbers on each chuck jaw. This would ensure reassembly in exactly the same orientation. But, hey, a good old Magic Marker can do the same thing- if these were mine.

Edit: As pointed out by Craig (see below), I should have mentioned that any jaw will fit into any of the slots so numbering isn't necessary for correct assembly and use. My comments were more for assuring that, when remounting a workpiece, everything is positioned exactly as it was in a previous operation.

To help get a better idea of the chuck/jaw system, I videoed the operation which I hope helps enhance the previous explanation.

Next time I’ll show you how I am using the different jaws and tools to create a project.  

A BIG Thank You to Easy Wood Tools for this opportunity!!!!!!!!!!

Lew, thank you for taking this task on, I hope you enjoy the tools as presented to us by Easy Wood Tools, this is a great opportunity for anyone of our Patriot Woodworker's to give these fantastic tools a try. 

If anyone is interested in trying these tools out please go to this discussion at leave your name in a reply, and we'll put you on the list to have these tools shipped out to you, at absolutely no charge. All we ask is you give us a review of your experience here in our forum.

Have fun Lew!

Hey Lew, Craig Jackson loved your review, he wanted me to pass one thing on to add to it, here is a quote from his message.

You might let folks know that jaws don’t have to be numbered as any jaw can go in any slot

Does the above address that concern Lew? Please let us know what you think.

Hey Lew, Craig Jackson loved your review, he wanted me to pass one thing on to add to it, here is a quote from his message.

You might let folks know that jaws don’t have to be numbered as any jaw can go in any slot

Does the above address that concern Lew? Please let us know what you think.

John,

I can see that my comment was misleading. I tried to clarify it with an edit. Hope that is alright.

Lew