Table saw repair

I've got a Jet 10" cabinet saw with extended table with  a router lift in it.  The saw has been making a whining sound for a long time, several years, but I wasn't sure where the noise was coming from.  I figured that at some time if it was serious something would give out and the problem would be easy to find at that point.  Wednesday was the day.  During a cut it all the sudden got real rough and sounded like it was rolling on rocks.  Shut down and felt the blade and you could feel the it grinding and binding so I knew it was bearings.  I'd never got into one work on it before so it was an adventure stripping off the extended table and getting the top off.  It was all easier than I expected, just a little heavy working alone on it for a couple steps.I guess the only thing I did that I didn't need to do was pulling the motor out, I could have just pivoted it.

I took it and got new bearing pressed in and picked it up today, only $58, I didn't think that was too bad.  I got it all put back together and when I checked it with the dial indicator for square to the blade it's only showing about .003 out which I didn't think was bad.  My only issue was when I put my zero clearance insert in its hitting the blade so I guess I'm going to have to loosen the top and give it a bump over a little bit to fit the insert again and then resquare it.  

All in all it was easier than I expected cheaper than I thought.  And it so much quieter.  But still it's not a project I want to repeat right away.  (And I only had one bolt and 2 washers left over.)

That's a happy ending Roy! I am glad you decided to fix it, in today's throw away society, believe it or not some folks would have just chucked the entire machine and bought another, way to go!

I'm just a start up 503©3 so I don't have a throw away budget yet. When I took the piece in to get the new bearings the guy mentioned how expensive it would be to get that casting replaced.  I'd like to get a new SawStop for the safety of the kids, but that's a little ways off.  I'm picking up my new drill press tomorrow and there's a need for a 15 or 20 inch planer then maybe we'll start looking at saws.  

(And I only had one bolt and 2 washers left over.)

HA HA HA HA HA

I did that to a machine shop foreman I once had.  He gave me the task of rebuilding a machine.  I finished, and  as he  telling me he was happy with it I shook a box of loose hardware at him and boasted about having so many  extra nuts and bolts and assorted parts left over like it was a grand thing. 

Took him a minute.

Finally he smiled.