Larry Buskirk

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also bypassed Windows 8/8.1 because of the touch screen issue.

I was a beta tester for Vista, & Windows 7.

I loaded the Windows 10 64 bit edition Technical Preview just to see what's new.

I loaded it on to an early Vista machine that was to slow for the wife. (This machine had Vista Basic 32 bit factory installed)

AMD 64 Athlon 3800 with 4 gigs of ram, Asus 545 video card, 500 gig hard drive.

The Technical Preview has a few issues, such as not allowing MultiQuote  responses to posts here, but otherwise has sped up this old PC.

I've only been playing around with it for a couple of hours now, and so far I'm impressed.

Everything I've read about 10 is very positive. Sounds like MS may have hit a home run with it. A welcome development after so many strike outs.

Larry, I'm running Vista, Quad core, 200MB HD, 64 bit. Can I upgrade to 10? If so, how can I get it? 

Gene,

The software I'm using is a beta release for testing purposes. ( It's available in both 32, & 64 bit versions)

I'm going to try loading it on a little better hardware. ( Quad core, more ram, faster motherboard chipset.)

I joined the Microsoft Insider program which gives you access to the test software. The software expires in October.

From what I've seen Microsoft will be offering a free upgrade to users of Windows 7/8/8.1 once the OS is released to public. ( Upgrade must be done within 1 year of 10's release)

Us poor Vista users will have to pay for the upgrade, but your hardware should be compatible. (I'm running it on older hardware than you have)

I don't have a machine with Windows 8/8.1 so I can't compare what is different between those OS's and the Windows 10 release.

It is however alot different than Vista, & Windows 7.

I'm interested to see how you like it Larry. I have Windows 7 and 8 on my MAC in virtual machines. It gives me a good way to check against the different versions. I may have to load the 10 and run all three.

John,

Even though the beta test software has it's issues, so far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Microsoft it appears has not left out the real PC's (Desktops) this time around! :D

My machine is an ASUS X-79 Deluxe with an Intel i7-493 dual processor,  and 16 Gigs of Corsair Dominator

I can go to  Win 10  easy enough.

All my drives are swap out from the front panel so I can load a whole different OS  without contaminating anything - - if I mess up.

For example I have a 2 gig drive with Ubunto on it and I rather like never having to worry about viruses or trojans or worms ( oh my).  I just shut it down, pull my windows OD  drive, and pop in the Linux one, reboot and I am good to go.  but with the new gen SATA main boards  one must use the same SATA hookup at the mainboard for each OS or things get buggy.   Unlike the older  BIOS  boards,  this is z UEFI/BIOS and  for whatever reason the SATA ports get dedicated.

Ever since Windows 2.0 I have been leery of an even number release.  Will be trying to keep up with your posts on W10, Larry

Fred,

Man are you bringing back some memories.

Technically though Windows, Windows 2/3/3.1/3.11 were programs that ran on DOS. I still have copies of most of them. :rolleyes:  

The first version of Windows 95 was also a program. Do you remember all the floppy discs?    :blink:  I still have mine!   :lol:  

Having to load drivers manually, hoping there weren't any conflicts... :o

I've still got hardware from that era, dial up internet through a modem.....beep, blurp, kawang... :wacko:  then the phone rings cutting off the internet during a download. :(

Oh Yes!, those were the days! :lol:  ;)

Oh, yes - those were the days.  When was the first Gulf War? - - Oh, yeh, 1991 - - My sone was on plane #2 with the 82 Airborne Command and Control - - since he and his group were kind of "hidden" from view, I set up a "Bulletin Board" system so guys in his group could keep in contact with their parents/loved ones - - 110 baud by cracky - - best we could do.

Regarding disketted - I still have a boat load of 3 1/4 diskettes - want me to send them to ya????

Fred,

I'm probably one of a few that still has/uses a floppy drive. :rolleyes:

I know younger people that don't even know what a floppy drive is. :huh:

Heck, I still have a scsi tape drive. :lol:

The hardware I first installed it on dates from when Microsoft first released Vista and was a carry over from the XP days.

The PC has an Athlon 64 3800+ (2.4Ghz) processor, but came factory loaded with Vista Home Basic 32 bit.

The machine was real slow trying to do most anything, even with a clean install.

I was surprised at the difference using the W10 Technical Preview 64 bit OS made in being able to use this machine.

The processor is dual core, but only shows up as a single processor. This might be a limitation of the motherboards Nvidia 590 chipset.

I'll be loading the W10 OS on the hardware I'm using for my PC rebuild so I can see what it will do with a little better hardware.

This hardware is also a bit dated, but is much better than what I was using.

I'll be using an AMD Phenom II X4 940 (3Ghz) Quad core processor on an Asus M3N72-D motherboard with Nvidia 750a/950a chipset.

This motherboard should be roughly twice as fast as the one I was using.  :D  

Ever since Windows 2.0 I have been leery of an even number release.  Will be trying to keep up with your posts on W10, Larry

Fred,

In all actuality this is Windows 9 renamed Windows 10 to better compete with Apples OSX. :blink:

It took me until support was dropped for Windows 2000 to go to XP. I actually didn't like XP.

I like both Vista, and W7, but didn't go for W8/8.1. ( It seemed to be geared more towards touch screens when it was released)

So far I'm liking what I see with W10. Microsoft brought back the start menu, and have it coupled with the tile style of W8/8.1.

It basically seems like they took parts of W7, and combined them with W8.1. ( I have very little experiance with 8/8.1)

It also seems that W10 is faster than Vista, & W7. ( I'll find out for sure when it's loaded on my other hardware)

Larry - will be interested in your opinions - afterall, I'm an ole DOS guy that started to work for IBM in 1963 !! ! ! ! !  (YIKES - that sounds like a few generations ago - can you picture a 1620 as a high end scientific compulator???

In 1963 I was 5 years old!

I'll have to look up an IBM 1620. :huh:

I only go as far back as the 286 processor, I may still have a working 25Mhz 386 around, I know I have a 100Mhz 486. 

I can remember when these were considered fast! :rolleyes:

This is making me want to play some old games on some vintage hardware!  :P  Now where did I stash those Voodoo graphics cards? :lol:

Archived