Trying Not To Split My Bowl

Cliff

• 3 weeks later...

The slowest speed on my lathe is just under 500 RPMs. It can be a real challenge to turn some things while chasing the lathe all over the basement.

One piece I turned seemed OK at first, but, as I proceeded it got worse (out of balance). Turned out that I had cut away some solid wood on one side leaving only pithy stuff. That made it heavier on one side than the other and an out of balance condition. 

On soft stuff, I saturate the area with several applications of CA. It hardens it up but that area is still lighter in density than the solid wood areas.

So much information and techniques to make a successful bowl, I never would have thought of putting a hardening agent on the soft area of a work piece, geez, I have only scraped the surface with what I know.

Oh, I have merely got the bowl turned to the point where it's time to dismount it from the faceplate, apply pantacryl, shove it in a paper bag  & in a cardboard box, and stuff it on a shelf  for a couple months

I'm no mister.

Now that I took that bowl and put it away, I'm working on a two drawer pedestal for my front loading washer & dryer.

It's so cold in my shop I could barely get the place to 54.9F today  which is just barely warm enough for gluing with titebond II.

Oh, I have merely got the bowl turned to the point where it's time to dismount it from the faceplate, apply pantacryl, shove it in a paper bag  & in a cardboard box, and stuff it on a shelf  for a couple months

I'm no mister.

Now that I took that bowl and put it away, I'm working on a two drawer pedestal for my front loading washer & dryer.

It's so cold in my shop I could barely get the place to 54.9F today  which is just barely warm enough for gluing with titebond II.

Heck it was 45 this morning at our home and I thought we were cold! Right now it's 63 degrees out here in the field. Are there any plans in the near future for heating your shop? Perhaps a hanging quartz heater or something, I feel for ya guys in the cold and woodworking!

• 3 weeks later...