Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

John Morris

Tagging Your Content

What are tags?

Well the Websters definition is "a label attached to someone or something for the purpose of identification or to give other information."

Why should I use tags in my posts, images and blogs and more? Using tags in your content will allow other members and visitors alike to find content that is related to yours. And when members and visitors find a topic, and click on one of that topics tags, they can find their way back to your topic if you tagged your topic similar.

Tags are a great way to keep our community search friendly, and easy to access for others, really, tagging is in the blogging and forum circles the courteous thing to do.

In order to tag your topics, type in related words to your topic. Try to think in the mindset, "I want to find a related topic or image similar to mine, what words can I use to describe my topic or image".

How to use

In the example below, we have a topic a member is going to start, this member wants to talk about their 19th Century Walnut Hutch they are building.

Some of the construction methods this member is using are, dovetails, tenons, and they are making it out of walnut.

Tag tutorial.JPGYou may also click on the box "Use first tag as prefix", this is a wonderful tool if you want all your tags to begin with a word_tag, if you wanted all your tags to begin with walnut, then you would click on the box, and now your tags would like, walnut_hutch, walnut_furniture.

So in our example at left (click on thumbnail image to enlarge) this member tagged their topic. These tags will show up below the title of their topic, so now if a member or visitor wants to search for related projects or items made of walnut, all they have to do is click on the tag "walnut" and they will be taken to virtually every topic that has "walnut" in the topic tags.

If a member or visitor wanted to get some great ideas on building a "hutch" well all they would have to do is click on the topic tag "hutch" and they would be taken to every topic that has a hutch.

This is a great way to keep our community searchable, and easy to use.

I'd like to highly recommend this feature to all here within our community.

Thank you!

And these tags don't even itch!!

No sir!!!

I'd like to thank you all for keeping up on this very important feature of our community. Tagging your topic is the courteous thing to do so that others may benefit from the topic you started. Thank you!

And there is not a fine if you cut them off.

I had no idea what a "tag" was until I read this post - THANKS!!

Glad you like the tip Chips, looks I need to update this tutorial with a missing image. Yikes!

Hey folks, going through our forums I see folks not tagging their topics, hey it's completely up to you, but if you don't tag your topics, we are all missing out on a very valuable resource to re-call those topics at a future date, or years from now. If they are not tagged, they just dis-appear into the deep cavernous bowls of our database.

While it's not required, I'd like to try to talk ya'll into doing it, it only takes an extra few seconds, and it benefits all, and those who come in the future who may want to search for something.

Thanks!

I'll try to remember...but I'm pretty old to be learning new tricks!

Can you tag  topics that you started in the past, or is it only possible to tag new topics?

On 3/2/2017 at 7:15 PM, It Was Al B said:

Can you tag  topics that you started in the past, or is it only possible to tag new topics?

Al, that is actually a great suggestion, I would like to see tags open for edit to all members for any topic, that way as a group, we can jump in and add relevant tags to any topic, or community item.

I really wish folks would tag their topics and content. It's such a wonderful way to organize a community and recall the great content you all are posting. Please tag your content. We don't ask much, but I feel strongly about this. Just please consider it.

One thing we won't do Herb is make it mandatory. But we do highly recommend it.

A year ago we tried the mandatory route, you could not submit your topic without it being tagged, I made it so our software would not allow it. So every topic that was submitted had tags. Then a few folks threatened to leave the community if we kept the mandatory tag structure in place, so we backed off.

It really does only take a few extra seconds, and for that, we get to recall the content down the road by searches. It's a completely valuable tool the tagging is. This may be the last time I harp on it, I'm worried I may ruffle too many feathers again with it, just please consider seriously the benefit of tagging our content.

Peace brother's!

Hey folks, @Steve Krumanaker does a fantastic job at tagging his content, not to put you on the spot Steve, but this is how it's done! Thanks so much Steve!

See topic at:

thepatriotwoodworker.com/topic/20024-another-natural-edge-walnut/

1 hour ago, John Morris said:

Hey folks, @Steve Krumanaker does a fantastic job at tagging his content, not to put you on the spot Steve, but this is how it's done! Thanks so much Steve!

See topic at:

Are those 8 words across the top under his name the tags?

Is there anway we can go back and tag the posts we have already made?

1 hour ago, Dadio said:

Are those 8 words across the top under his name the tags?

Is there anway we can go back and tag the posts we have already made?

Yes Dadio, those 8 words are the tags, now if you click on one of those tags, you'll get related content that was tagged with those same tags.

On 6/9/2017 at 1:09 PM, John Morris said:

See topic at:

Teacher's pet! :P

John