Need Some Wood Advise

Ron Altier

Years ago I made a hobby horse for my grandson. You may have seen one on the web, a Clydesdale. It came out very nice and I chose to use pine because it was easy to find and work with. It proved to be a good choice and now is 4 years old and has taken all the kids can offer. It still works and looks great.

ning-horsesm-53758-45.jpg

Now I have a granddaughter that  wants one of her very own, but one for a girl. 

I have chosen this horse to build. It suggests using Ash for the main body.
Ash is not readily available and I am up for suggestions for another wood.

I want a wood easy to work with that is also a light colored wood. I am thinking of using white paint on the wood, immediately wiping it off to leave the pores filled with white paint, yet allow the wood grain to come through. Any thoughts?

ning-imag003-53758-24.jpg

Ron, Maple would be a good choice. Some Soft maple should be a real lite color and show the grain through with the wash you are putting on it. I would think it would work good if you can pick it out and stay away from any real squirrely grains.

That is an awesome looking rocking horse. That should be a great project. Please take lots of pictures and keep them posted along the way.

Dittos, what John said, I am surprised that ash is not readily available in your neck of the woods Ron. I thought the entire west had a ton of ash. I do like the fully painted version you displayed as well. Both horse's are beautiful. I have always regretted not making a horse for my kids, maybe for my 5 year old son it's not too late.

I'll ask the guys at the Woodworker Guild if Ash is a plentiful wood. I have not seen it at any of the usual places, but maybe I am just not looking in the right places. It will also make a difference if the wood don't come in bigger thickness than three quarters. For the Clydesdale I used 2x6 glued together. I'll have to get the working drawings before I can find out the best thickness to go with.