Flocking material use

Ron Altier

I am finishing a jewelery box and have yet to build the drawer and

top area. I am seriously considering using the flocking material that is

deposited on an adhesive for those areas.

If you have used it or have some advise about alternate methods please let me know.

I have fear that the stuff would be forever wearing off and not last.

Thanks 

Ron

Ron I understand the advantages of using flocking material, but I have always liked the looks of an upholstered interior of a jewelry box or drawer. I love the looks of a piece of felt wrapped carefully around a thin substrate and then fastened to the inside of the box, usually with some contact cement or wood glue. It gives it a look of class and old world craftsmanship.

I have never used the flocking. And the good thing about the upholstered version is, you can replace it if it becomes worn which is highly unlikely in your lifetime, but if such an event should occur, you can remove the panel and re wrap and re install. I just love the looks of a thin piece of foam wrapped with felt, or felt wrapped around some thin substrate and secured to the box or drawer. To me, flocking seems like a short cut, and if your making something beautiful, why not go all the way, and do it in style.

That is purely my opinion though, that does not make the flocking a bad thing, I just like the real felt better is all.

Archived