The Woodworking Shows

John Moody

I was just looking at the schedule for this years Woodworking Shows and was disappointed to see there is no show closer than 5 hour drive to me.

The year before last it was in Nashville at the OpryLand Hotel. Looked to me like a pretty good turnout. Then last year it was in Huntsville, AL. The weekend it was there was the worst weather weekend we had in a while. There were tornado warnings all day and had one to touch down not too far from where the event was being held. I am sure the weather kept a lot of people from attending. After the show I saw a blog from Jim Heavey complaining about the attendance, but saying they were committed to being back in Huntsville one more year. I sure hope they put it back on the schedule. I have enjoyed the shows and have done my part to spend money there.

Oh well I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. It will either be Atlanta or St. Louis if I go.

I feel for ya John, but you know, a good road trip is fun sometimes. What are the roads like where your at. Do you have freeways that get you to the Wood Show or are they two lane highways? Just curious, around here we look for the country road trips, trees, old farm houses, horses, the good stuff, if you had scenery like that to deal with on the way to the show, it wouldn't be so bad.

We are about 45 miles from the Interstate if going to Atlanta. If I go to Nashville, we take the scenic route up to Columbia and then get on the Interstate for the last 20 miles or so. Going to St. Louis is kinda like you can't get there from here.

We have taken the Natchez Trace Parkway which it not too far from the house to Nashville. It is all scenic but the speed limit is 50 mph. It is two lane all the way no stores or commercial establishments on it anywhere.

You might be right Ron, but I enjoy walking around and looking at all of the stuff. Where I am, there aren't any wood stores close so when you get a chance to go and touch and feel and purchase you hate to miss a chance. LOML usually likes to go and she will let me pick up a few new additions when we are there.

I guess something will come along or Hey as John said "Road Trip"

Ron Dudelston said:

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it John. I went last year after a year year hiatus and I wished I hadn't gone. You won't miss a thing.

If you want to do a road trip, come to Indiana for the show in Indy. You can stay here and we'll go together. Did I mention that the show is in January and the last time I went the temperature didn't get about 10 degrees all day long. Hmmmm, that might explain the low attendance.

Kinda like here when there were tornado's everywhere. Hard to get people out to a show around here when it is like that.

10 degrees might slow me down a bit. I did go to Nashville in January to the Turning Symposium and it was snowing when I left Florence. It is usually a 2 hour drive and it took me just over 4 and we had to stay an extra night as the Interstate was closed.

So hey don't offer if you aren't serious, I might just show up. lol

If I wasn't serious, I wouldn't offer. This is the flyover zone here where conservatism lives.

John Moody said:

Kinda like here when there were tornado's everywhere. Hard to get people out to a show around here when it is like that.

10 degrees might slow me down a bit. I did go to Nashville in January to the Turning Symposium and it was snowing when I left Florence. It is usually a 2 hour drive and it took me just over 4 and we had to stay an extra night as the Interstate was closed.

So hey don't offer if you aren't serious, I might just show up. lol

I too was disappointed that the show wasn't coming to Nashville this year. The Opryland hotel being underwater in May could have something to do with it. I would have thought that the show would have been planned before that though. I remember one show was held south of Nashville. I-65 expo center or something like that.

I like the shows too. I am forced to do most of my shopping on line. I really like to fingerprint the tools before I buy.

That's me Greg,

I like to walk around and touch, pickup and kick the tires of the stuff. Most of the time all I get to do is look online or in catalogs.

No woodworking stores really close to here. I am between two Woodcraft stores, but it is 120 miles to either one of them.

I am going to have to see what it will be like in Indy!!

Greg Coleman said:

I too was disappointed that the show wasn't coming to Nashville this year. The Opryland hotel being underwater in May could have something to do with it. I would have thought that the show would have been planned before that though. I remember one show was held south of Nashville. I-65 expo center or something like that.

I like the shows too. I am forced to do most of my shopping on line. I really like to fingerprint the tools before I buy.

Archived