First coat of oil on my rocker

John Morris

Thanks Richard, it's nice to have it finished too. I am deciding on a price now, any thoughts what this might fetch in the right market? It will be displayed at an arts and crafts show, with a price on it, I am wavering between 1500 and 3000, some where in there. Aint no way I'd get my hourly wage out of it. So it just comes down to, how valuable is it?

In my opinion 1500 would be ridiculously low. 3000 would still be a bargain. What should you ask, I don't know. I think you're on to something when you say "the right market" and I don't know what your market is. I think I'd try 3500 and see what happens. If it sells fast you know what to do on the next one. If it doesn't sell then take it home and enjoy it or set it a side and try to find a better market. This is just my thoughts. Pricing "stuff" has always been a difficult thing to do.

Looking sweet, John! Did the figure pop as hoped for? I wouldn't sell it unless you had to, and if you do sell $3000 should be the floor not the ceiling. I wouldn't part with mine, too much emotional attachment. Hal Taylor sells his for $5000 and up. I saw a guy in Hawaii trying to sell his version of a rocking chair for $20000 (!). Now maybe you and I aren't quite at Hal's level of fame and skill, but $3000 still sounds on the low side to me.

Thanks for all the wonderful comment guys. Dan, the figure blew me away. I had no idea it was going to do that. As soon as I touched brush to wood, I was estatic. Thanks for all your help Dan, and for being my sounding board.

Yep guys, she's gotta go. This is the maiden voyage of what I hope to be a small partime business.

Thanks to all, and thanks for taking the time to chime in here.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and second guess why John wants to sell his rocker. He thinking, Ok if I can get a decent price out of my rocker I'm going to take that money and buy some more and better lumber and start another one. He's thinking the next one will be even better than the first one and not take as long. He might do this 2-3-4- times (if they sell) and at some point he'll make one that he really likes more than the others and keep it.

Joshua D. Rollins said:

WOW.................................................................that's an awesome job John. I'd have to agree with all points made here. On one hand I couldn't imagine pouring my heart and soul into a single piece like you have and then send it on it's way, at least not the first one anyway. On the other hand, if you have to let it go I would hold out for the highest price you could put on it. Your name may not be famous yet in the rocker world, but the quality is there, I can see it clear from Tennessee.

Thank you Josh, thanks a lot man. Boy I'll tell ya, if a guy needs an ego boost, you folks sure know how to accommodate! I know, it is a bit hard to let it go, but I really need to. I went into this with somewhat of a business mind, and I need to turn this chair, in order to purchase more material supplies for the second, and on and on hopefully the wheel turns! Thanks again Josh, very kind words indeed.

Joshua D. Rollins said:

WOW.................................................................that's an awesome job John. I'd have to agree with all points made here. On one hand I couldn't imagine pouring my heart and soul into a single piece like you have and then send it on it's way, at least not the first one anyway. On the other hand, if you have to let it go I would hold out for the highest price you could put on it. Your name may not be famous yet in the rocker world, but the quality is there, I can see it clear from Tennessee.

Yes I did John, we had the chair in our family room for two nights, I let the kids rock the heck out of it, my wife Tonya sat in it and enjoyed it, I sat in it, it truly is one of the most comfortable chairs I have ever sat in. I had my carpooling buddy stop in last Thursday to give it a whirl before finishing, he weighs about 230lbs and he rocked away in it. I wanted to put it through it's paces, if it was going to crack or break, I wanted it to happen here in my shop, and not at a customers home. I was very happy with the rocking results as was my family and my buddy.

Now it is finished, the bottom of the rockers are virgin, no one sits in it now, it is on a table with a cloth until it sells.

Thanks again John for your kind words.

John Moody said:

So John, Did you sit down in it and give it a test rock before the finish was started?? How was it???

RIchard, you hit the nail on the head, spoken like a true business man. You couldn't have come any closer to what my intentions are. And your right, we will keep one in the future. The only thing is, I would like to make many more after those first 2 3 or 4 chairs. My shop is all jigged up for it now, all I need is customers. Thanks for your comments pal.

Richard McComas said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and second guess why John wants to sell his rocker. He thinking, Ok if I can get a decent price out of my rocker I'm going to take that money and buy some more and better lumber and start another one. He's thinking the next one will be even better than the first one and not take as long. He might do this 2-3-4- times (if they sell) and at some point he'll make one that he really likes more than the others and keep it.

Joshua D. Rollins said:

Never mind John, I see now where you said Watco.

Richard McComas said:

BTW John C, what is you finish schedule . Any thing go on top of the BLO? I know a lot of the time "Fine Furniture" like your rocker get nothing but an in the wood oil finish but just wondering what you plan.

BTW Does this forum have a preview mode so one can look his post before posting it?

Archived